Ian W asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 1 decade ago

Could someone be addicted to counseling?

If so, how would you treat them?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

ABSOLUTELY!

Treat them? Teach them to stand on their own two feet. Be self- reliant.

Counselling might be considered akin to psychiatry.

• 1 decade ago

Sure - tho I wouldn't say addicted - I'd say dependent on. Addiction typically is to escape feelings, wanting to stay in counseling is typically to help feel feelings. Different processes.

Successful therapy always leads to dependence, even full blown love. It is a fully equal task to wean a patient off therapy as it was to entice them into it, and every bit as much care, planning, and effort should go into the exit part of the process once therapy has accomplished its major goals.

• 1 decade ago

ad⋅dic⋅tion   /əˈdɪkʃən/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [uh-dik-shuhn] Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma.

I think you may be confusing it with:

Main Entry: com·pul·sion

Pronunciation: \kəm-ˈpəl-shən\

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French or Late Latin; Anglo-French, from Late Latin compulsion-, compulsio, from Latin compellere to compel

Date: 15th century

1 a: an act of compelling : the state of being compelled b: a force that compels

2: an irresistible persistent impulse to perform an act (as excessive hand washing) ; also : the act itself.

Addiction results in tramautic withdrawal.

If someone were to form a compulsive behavior toward counseling it would only matter if it affected their life. In the event that it did then perhaps they should seek a psychologist that specializes in compulsions. If it doesn't affect their life than it doesn't matter. If it's a harmless compulsion then it's okay to have it.

Source(s): psych 101.
  • 1 decade ago

Yes , if some one becomes dependent on another on how to live life . Just go out and live it . Mistakes are their to make and learn from .

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.