Andy
Andy asked in SportsMartial Arts · 1 decade ago

Good martial art discipline and school?

Hi

After some advise- I used to practice Wu Shu Kwan, but haven't done so for a good few years. I'd like to take up a martial art again, but I'm more interested in getting fit than getting belts.

Can anyone give me some first hand information about a good all-round style? I'm not keen on judo or aikido. Also, can anyone recommend a good dojo/school in Coventry.

Many thanks :))

Tae-Kwan do

Mian Quan

And Jujitsu

If you take Jeet Kun Do, its more going to be a discovery of yourself and what works for you rather then learning punches, kicks, and throws. Dont learn MMA from an MMA school, I find that learning multiple pure martial arts that you like is better then learning someone else's blend. Wing Chun, Greco Roman Wrestling, and Tang Soo Do is my personal Jeet Kun Do (or martial arts blend), its no BJJ/MuayThai but I can still do good with it becuase its what works best with me. If your looking for self defense of you and others, Krav Maga (make sure its not a phony school)/Judo/Wing Chun would be my recommendation. No Tae Kwon Do unless you plan on slimming down because overweight people should not be kicking. If you we're slimmer then TKD could substitute Wing Chun.

i can't recommend a school in that area, but I can recommend a martial art style or two.

Jujutsu is the best all around system with throws, locks, ground work, and sometimes strikes. Judo is different, but came from jujutsu. And Aikido came from Aiki-jujutsu. But all three are different.

Source(s): 10 years martial arts and a few hundred hours of research.

I find TaeKwonDo good all round for fitness, coordination and stamina but I'm lucky in that I have Annabel Murcott on my doorstep, well, 150metres!

I don't know any schools/dojos in Coventry but if you look up the TAGB site it gives all the dojos in the country along with contact details.

Good luck.

i do shorinji kempo, and it is incredible. i would strongly recommend it. dunno if there is a dojo in your area. i think the best thing you can do is to try going to several types, and see how they suit you. also, look at the sensei in each place, as their quality as a person and a teacher is the most important factor, more so than the type of martial art. lots of places offer a free first lesson, so you have nothing to lose.

check out this link

http://www.wingchunpro.com/

Wing Chun Kung Fu (the original art of Bruce Lee)..sifu stephen dyde teaches in your area and very practical for street self defence and an art you can practice into old age.

Paul

why not go to a good kickboxing or boxing club??

not sure of any in that area but i do know that geoff thompson is from there and if u email him im sure you would get a result, or at least get a link of his website