Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Christians: What does "Judge not lest ye be judged" mean to you?

What does this mean to you?

Do you follow this in your daily lives?

To me, it means that it is not my position to "judge" someone, I.E. decide if they go to heaven or hell. But that's my definition, what's yours?

50 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best answer

It means do not go telling people the little things that r wrong in there lives while you have things wrong in your life

Do not point out the splinter in your fellow believers eye while you have a log in yours

Source(s): Bible , Church, Bible Class at school
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It means I should try my best to understand; because I can judge nothing I do not understand.

Sometimes I do this well and it is a triumph for both of us.

Sometimes I do this well and it is something I wish I did not see.

Sometimes I do this poorly and it is a funny 'truth'.

Sometimes I do this poorly and make an @ss of myself.

But I am always willing to consider an appeal.

It is the same process I subject myself to - and try to judge the judgment passed on me as well.

Going to heaven or hell does not rest within my judgment no matter what I decide about anything for others - I am not even certain that it matters how I judge myself.

That is God's decision.

MY judgments I question - I trust God's judgments.

• 1 decade ago

My definition is if I have the mind set to say someone else is something based on my own wrong thinking that same wrong thinking will trip me up. Where as you should use discernment instead. a well rounded caring thought process gear at following Christ and not just following self. Which still sometimes means I tell people they are wrong or I stop speaking them which people call judgmental but I know it is not. In that sense I stay under God's continual grace and do not have to be chastened by him to fix my wrong thinking. God Bless

• 4 years ago

People aren't supposed to be judgmental of those who are not Christians. They have not been given the Holy Spirit. As Christians, we are supposed to hold each other accountable. This is because people who claim to be of Christ but are outwardly sinful and unashamed of their sinful practices give Christ a bad name. 11But now I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat. 12What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? 13God will judge those outside. "Expel the wicked man from among you." 1 Corinthians 5:11-13

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Judging comes by the Word of God. I see no where in scripture that sin is tolerated. It is always judged. You can't read the Bible without there being an expectation of a standard of righteousness. Another pitfall to be careful of is the man who pridefully claims he does not judge others while he tolerates their wickedness. The Prophets were put to death because they brought a corrective word. Jesus also.

Judging in Mat 7 is referring to a man's heart. If you yourself are in sin, you better be careful how you look at the acts of other people.

• 1 decade ago

Most people do not understand what this type of judgment is.

It is when God's holy and just nature that lives within man collides with man's sinful nature that resides within man. The two are not the same. Judgment is inevitable.

What Christians realize without argument is that we all far short of Christ's example. Yet we get up when we stumble. And we run with patience the race that is set before us.

The best example I can think of is that a new parent is aware of the change and responsibility for taking care of that new person in their life. For in time whatever you are as a person will rub off on that precious little one. They will repeat in mannerism and in words what they hear around them.

That is our relationship with Jesus Christ daily. We are aware of his astonishing and Holy presence in and through us. The Bible says judgment first falls in the house of God. As long as the Holy God is in the house such awareness of God's holy presence or judgment as you call it exists. When we truly love someone will do our utmost to please the one we love. We will do everything in our power to maintain it.

Heaven or hell is just eternal icing on the cake for how we live on earth.

I hope this helps and yes I am aware of this daily.

May you and yours have a safe holiday season.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

no I can't decide who goes to heaven or who goes to hell,

but I can say what Jesus said about it,

"no one comes to the Father except through me"

that's what he said and when I give that message,it's not judging it's a warning.

judge not lest ye be judge is saying that if you are doing the same thing you are judging another person on,then you will also be judged.

• Big_E
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

I believe it means that however I judge someone else, I should be cautious because I will be held to that same measuring stick by God.

I do not follow this in my daily life.

I may judge for myself if I think someone can make it to heaven or not but I know all things are possible with God and I cannot make that judgment.

• 1 decade ago

U are correct, in that answer and belief. We cannot judge whether a person will or will not be among those saved by grace because even those who appear to be 'saved' may not be. Only God knows what is in a person's heart and He alone can judge justly.

Our human mind cannot begin to understand or discern such things. We can, however, judge that an action is wrong. That means hate the sin and love the sinner.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

as a co-dependant, I must judge to a certain extent becasue I tend to let peopel walk over me, but I have to watch my judging because I can also be very controling and want to stick my nose where it doe snot belong, but what women does not want to do that, so I just have to watch myself. I mean when I work in the church nursery and get stuck with diaper duty all the time, I have to start judging those that I work with as lazy workers and have to crack the whip.

• 1 decade ago

I don't judge whether or not someone will be in heaven or hell It is no my job. That is God's. It is also not my place to judge others period. He is the only one who may judge us.

I think it means "Do no judge others or you will be judged yourself"... and the judgment may come from God, or other people. Either way, it's not good. Moral of the story... don't judge. :)

God Bless.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.