At what point do you decide to put your cat to sleep?

My 18 y/o cat that was appx 9 lbs healthy is appx 4 llbs now. Every vertebrae is palpable. I smell cancer with every exhale. (I'm a hospice nurse). He still eats, drinks and sits on my lap and purrs at times. He doesn't always find the litterbox anymore. He is blind and gets lost and I find him... show more My 18 y/o cat that was appx 9 lbs healthy is appx 4 llbs now. Every vertebrae is palpable. I smell cancer with every exhale. (I'm a hospice nurse). He still eats, drinks and sits on my lap and purrs at times. He doesn't always find the litterbox anymore. He is blind and gets lost and I find him everywhere looking for something. He looks like one of those toys that hits a wall, moves back, and hits another wall. It would be funny, if it weren't so sad. When I try to redirect him, I feel his bones creak to where it is Gross almost. He is so fragile. He is so noncomplaining and lovable. How can I let go? I know it is almost time. I guess he has to completely quit eating. What are your thoughts?
12 answers 12