Christians, could you please give me a definition of your understand of the word Love ?

"We don't have anything against gays and lesbians, we LOVE them, we just believe that their lifestyle is wrong"

In that quote could you explain LOVE to me, please?

Because my definition of the word love has at least the words understanding, empathy and acceptance in it. So we might be talking about a different definition here.

I'd really like to see your definition, because I think it'll solve a lot of misunderstanding.

Thanks in advance.

Real love has no boundaries. Hard not to have boundaries when your world is in a box.

Matt scared me.

In English? There is only one word with many different definitions.

The love I have is more towards compassion, the desire for them to know salvation and not be condemned for their sins. It does not include tolerance of sin. it is the desire that none should be condemned and a sadness in their rejection of God's way in favor of their own, knowing that such a thing could eternally separate them from God. There is no English translation for this.

So yes, there is a difference in definitions; your form of love is not the same as what we have, because Christians are not to tolerate sin. Intolerance is not hate - maybe it is in YOUR definition, but not in God's.

Love is not lust which we have taken and turned love into some kind of feel feast.. Gods love for us was he gave his only begotten son. And he died for us. Listen would you not tell someone they were heading into a ditch. If you knew there actions were taking them right off the into a ditch. That is love sometimes telling the hard truths to people that they don't want to except. But loving them more than even caring what they think of you or what they may do. God is love Agape love.. choice to love. To be truthful, kind ,gentle, meekness, long suffering, peace, joy,. to do good to those who despite fully use you and persecute you. Who can write the Love Of God or even begin to tell it. I sure fail at it but know its pure. righteous, all loving.

Love is the care for the welfare of other´s before ones self, and not after. This has nothing to do with acceptance or being understanding to sin, and willful sinning. If the enemy of righteousness hungers, we give them food; and if they thirst, we give them drink; we care for their well being as we would care for ourselves. But as for their willful sin, we are to hate sin, and the deliberate intent to sin. During the course of our daily journeys, we are in contact all the time with deliberate sinner´s, and we receive them with courtesy, but nothing more. The only time our view of sin as Christians should come up, is when we are confronted with the subject. We must keep in mind, that in Christ, we are not of this world, though we live in this present evil world; yet we do not live our lives accoding to secular principles and practices. But again, as professing Christians, we should never give any indication to a willful sinner that we endorse, or are understanding to their darling sin. If we are with Christ, then we must be for righteousness and against sin; otherwise we are for sin and against righteousness; but never both, and never do we modify righteousness to accommodate sin. The person with whom we are in contact, must they themselves either make their tree good, so that their fruit in then good; or else make their tree corrupt, and their fruit corrupt; but we know very well Christ tells us, that a good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit; it cannot be done according to Christ. And this is the division, that the secular all the day long attempt to keep their darling sins with them, and at the same time, they attempt to be known as a good tree; but we the Christian, are to know this, and not be deceived by good words and fair speeches, nor by the niceness of that person; niceness does´nt make the fruit any different; for their sin is left untouched, just the way they like it, which is why they seek acceptance, that they may feel their sin is acceptable, and even legitimate and justified. We should never make them feel this from us.

Love is not a mere emotion, it is a principle and is the heart of all creation. God is Love and Love is God. Love is not merely a word it is God Himself and it is true. The momentary physical mating is not love but lust, a carnal desire. Whatever is momentary cannot be love! Love is Eternal. Love is the solution to every problem and is the ultimate and highest law. When two lovers mate physically (and they actually love each other), their experience is holy and heavenly. Momentary steam of lust is nothing compared to this real love. Love does not mean promiscuity either.

Jesus

God is love

But you have to take a stand for right vs. wrong. There is a balance. Ex: The bible says if you spare the rod you hate your child. Plus a gay lifestyle isn't healthy and the life expectancy is shorter. How is that not love? Love is tough sometimes.

Only God can judge me!

My definition of love is two different people being able to see each other so clearly that they can go their own seperate ways - together.

With all that such a thought implies.

The true meaning of love, as defined in the Bible, has been corrupted in the common usage of our English language and society. Most often, love is confused with infatuation - that elated, "high" feeling we get when we "fall in love." This kind of "love" is something that lasts typically less than a year, and unless replaced by true love, results in broken relationships.

• lisa

You are not expected to love or agree with everybody. What is expected is tolerance for those that are different than you. Do not treat someone poorly, because you do not care for them or their lifestyle.

love does not mean tolerance

if a behavior is wrong, we do not accept or tolerate that behavior-

for example,a parent loves a child but does not "in the name of tolerance, acceptance, etc" allow that child to run into the street, play with knives, do things that are potentially harmful and dangerous to themselves and others.

That is just an example, in no way do 'christians' have an authority over homosexuals- but in the same way, I love my friend , but if I see her doing things that are harmful, ungodly, etc- I will kindly and gently point out to her where I might see an issue and on the same token, I am open to her doing the same for me.

Now for a nonbeliever this may be hard to understand because many people are insistant that the gay lifestyle is not harmful- I see this to be not true.

I would not however just walk up to any gay person and tell them about their lifestyle- there has to be understanding and love there in the first place-

Jesus truly loved the woman he told "go and sin no more and because of his love and compassion towards her #1 he did not accept and tolerate her sin- he told her - stop and #2 she accepted his rebuke and changed her life.

Most people are resistant to Christians because most christians do not have the love of Jesus- there is a balance that is lost.

Sinners expect that people that follow Jesus will tolerate them by way of tolerating, making excuse for and justifying their sin- Jesus NEVER did this- he rebuked sin in every form and showed people how they could be free from their sins

Christians expect sinners to clean up their act before coming to Jesus and want to beat people in hte head with their Bibles and tend to judge others without first judging themselves and examining their own hearts.

Love does not mean to allow the people that you love to do whatever they please- love has standards- BUT love is not proud, it does not boast, it is not envious- love rebukes, corrects, instructs and guides- because I love someone , no matter what sin they are walking in, I would give them the shirt off of my back if they were cold, I would bring them a meal if they were hungry- I would help them find healing if they were sick- no one deserves less than that- but I would not ever justify sin so they can feel better about themselves- my opinion about things does not matter, God is first and foremost in my life and Jesus is the only way to freedom and abundant life - God's word IS the standard and I will never compromise His word- I will do what I can to help and minister to my fellow man, but i will not lie about, justify or compromise when it comes to sin- most importantly, I hold myself and expect my brothers and sisters in the Lord to hold me to those same standards and I strive to examine my own heart and motives before I present those standards to another .

That is love

If God calls homosexuality sin - and I am convinced He does;

and if the wages of sin is death - eternal separation from God, the only Source of good in the universe;

and if you were a sinner, and I told you "Never you mind, you just do what you like, everything will be fine" -

wouldn't that be something like a doctor telling a cancer patient: "Well. you have cancer and you are going to die without treatment; but never you mind - you were probably born with a predisposition to cancer, and don't you let anyone judge you for that; and I still accept you just the way you are"............

Are you beginning to get the picture?

Love is caring enough to tell someone when they are wrong - even if they hate you for it.