Natalie B asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Boxer Genetics! Is there a reverse sealed brindle?

The Reason I ask if there is a reverse sealed brindle is because I bred my Mahogany fawn female to a flashy Brindle Male ( Both Health tested). Well Everything I have read on color genetic states that They should have had half, brindle and half fawn Pups. And half of the litter would be flashy. So you can imagine the shock when she had 9 brindle pups 5 flashy and 4 solid. So any information you could give on this would be a great help to include any websites or personal information you may have.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

You cant expect anything from a breeding, just because you bred a brindle and a fawn does not mean you would get what you expected. Genetics takes into factor not only their genes but the genes of their parents and so on. You can usually expect to recieve some colors but to say you will get what you expect is a never. Breeding a fawn and a brindle was fine and you produced a good color litter, regardless of whether it was what was expected. We had a flashy fawn female in our rescue produce an entire litter of brindle babies as well, we can only assume dad was brindle but are not sure. Needless to say they are some good looking pups. The main thing is to keep track of what your dogs produce in their breedings to each other. If white pups or solid black pups are produced those two parents should not be bred again. I am by no means against those colors I have one of each but they are both genetic mutations and should not be bred for it would be like someone trying to give birth to only down sydrome babies or something. Your really playing luck of the draw in breeding when you can have many color variations in a breed. The fawn is the dominate color and the brindle is the recessive gene but again mom may have been carrying a fawn color gene as she was but also a recessive gene for brindle and the dad being brindle obviously has brindle genes. This would produce if not an all but predominately brindle litter. If mom had both genes dominate for fawn color then some fawns would have been born as well most likely. The problem with being able to know for sure is you never know what the second gene in their makeup is since everyone has both a dominate and recessive gene.

Im glad you are trying to find out more about breeding and do things properly.

Honestly we need more people in the world to rescue than to bred, Boxers are dying by the dozens in shelters everyday world wide because they are being so over bred. Maybe consider working with a rescue and taking in pregnant boxers if you have a fancy for that, I myself have taken in 3 in the past year alone that were dumped on the streets ready to pop and ended up in the shelters to be euthanized. If you knew how many of these dogs ended up in such horrible, pitiful conditions you would sincerely never want to bred again and put all efforts into saving the breed.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

What exactly does "health tested" mean? Did you get their hips, elbows, eyes, thyroid, etc certified by the OFA and other appropriate organizations? Or did you just have a vet go over them? Were they tested for genetic diseases that run boxers? Do you know what their sires and dams died of? How about grand-sires and grad-dams? Have your dogs been shown in conformation? Is either of them a champion? Are they at least pointed? Do you have a breeding mentor who has been in the breed for 10+ years? I think you are starting to get the picture. "Health testing" is not enough to qualify your dogs for breeding. You should only breed after you have been studying, showing and handling the breed for several years (hopefully more) and then only under the supervision/guidance of a much more experienced mentor. You should only breed dogs that have proved themselves extraordinary in the show ring or in relevant trials so you can improve the breed. Before breeding you need to have a thorough understanding of the genetics of your breed so you can find appropriate matches for your bitc* or dog and ensure that the pups are even better than the parents. Clearly you have done none of those things and can't even look up genetics on your chosen breed. Have you tried looking in libraries or talking to more experienced breeders?

• JenVT
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

The thing about dog genetics is that like people, they are still a little unpredictable. It depends on the lines, not just the sire and dam. If you go back 2 generations, how many of each are there? What about three generations? What do the litter mates of the sire and dam look like? Yes- statistically it should be a 50/50 split, but to get an accurate picture, you need to look at the lines horizontally and vertically.

• 1 decade ago

lol. Another BYB.

http://www.boxerworld.com/forums/view_boxer-coat-c...

If the brindle was a dominant brindle, then the pups will be 100% brindle. And Plain to flashy = 50% flashy pups.

I'm surprised that your mentor didn't go over this with you in the years of training and showing that you've been working with him/her.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 years ago

solid i do no longer know what the canines sounds like so i'm no longer specific what names ought to tournament her inspite of the shown fact that I do have quite some names in recommendations. Artemis - she replaced into greek goddess of the seek Diana - was once the roman goddess of the seek Fidelis - latin for unswerving Alaris - latin for wingman Dixie - for the south Harbor - physique of water it is secure and deep sufficient to place anchor Delta - sediment on the mouth of a river Beacon - sign easy for boats or planes So those are some examples. some definately greater appropriate than others and it quite relies upon the canines and her character what call will in wonderful condition her ultimate. yet i in my opinion like the breed of boxers and desire you have a spectacular time with yours.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.