Do you have cable / satellite dish / rabbit ears / antenna for your television viewing?

I am just asking in general because we were sort of "forced" into getting a satellite dish last week because the location where we live told everyone that the main cable lines were "not up to the standards" for the new thing coming in February, so they dropped the cable for all of us. They don't want to dig up the streets to place this new cable so some don't have tv at all now or have to get the rabbit ears/antenna (with the box) or buy into a satellite dish, which we did. It's kind of over-whelming with all the channels that we really don't need. We like a lot of stations, besides the regular local channels, but we won't watch many of them. We are also paying a lot more too now. The one good thing about it is that our picture on every channel is beautiful compared to our old service with cable. So that's a plus. What experiences have you had with a situation like this or are you happy or unhappy with your current service? Do you or did you feel that it was too much sometimes with all the channels?

Lily: The cable company told the owner and management, who are both jerks of this co-op development, that the cables are not good.

Just Joyce: LOL, I watch Ghost Hunters also. Can't miss that one!

BRILLIANT ANSWERS!! Thanks to all.

Robert W: I agree with you (another plus) about the music stations. Enjoying those very much.

DR.W: I hear ya. I agree too. It's almost like we don't have many "freedoms" anymore. You are TOLD what to use or whatever.

• Lily

I used to work in the cable television business, so I pretty much understand the changes that are happening now. Who told you the existing cables weren't up to the standards for digital transmission? Was it the cable company or the company with the satellite dish? Or do you live in a condo/co-op development and the Board of Directors told you that? I'm just asking because I doubt that the cable company told you this. They would rather upgrade the service and keep you as a customer.

You're right -- the dish is much more expensive than cable. The picture is better than the analog signal you were getting on your old cable, but it's not any better than the digital signal you would get on a new cable. I like my digital cable very much and, fortunately, the Board in my co-op has decided not to spend the large amount of money to bring in satellite service.

EDIT TO RUSSELL - Your board of directors has authority over your management company. Get your board involved -- tell them your concerns. Sounds like you guys have been railroaded.

We have Verizon, which isn't working as well as it should. We've had them all.

We started with Comcast and then, when it got too expensive for the same stuff, we went to Dish. Dish was good, but it really doesn't work when it's cloudy. I thought that was just some kind of nonsense made up by the Comcast people in their commercials but it's true.

Then, when my dad moved in because of his knee replacement surgery, we went back to Comcast because Dish didn't give us local sports. Comcast was worse then every! In four years of Dish, the repair guy was out once. The Comcast repair guy had to come 3 days after installing it and was their at least 10 times in the year we had it.

Then we went to Verizon Fios, cable optic stuff. We have the phone service, internet and TV. It had been working great up until a month ago when we would turn off the TV but the "box" would still be on and vice versa. Also the fast forwarding through commercials of recording stuff isn't working right. And whenever my husband turns on the desk top computer, the internet connection is lost on my laptop.

Yes, I wish we could just go through a list and take the channels we want. We've got all kinds of sports channels that we don't watch and we don't need. It should be ala cart.

I haven't heard of anything like that happening here. I have cable, and the wires are on poles, not underground, so I don't think it will be an issue. I'm happy with my current service, excellent sound and picture, but I do find it a bit expensive. I'm considered adding a couple of the movie channels, which I don't have now, but I have to check the price first. I do find sometimes, that even with the 60 or so channels I have that there often isn't anything that I want to watch.

Digital Cable

• CJ

I give up the dish because it will not stay on the air! So I went back to cable. Works just fine for me - but am not too thrilled with their internet service! Hope this helps. BTW - I now pay $94.34 a month for phone, internet and TV - and I was paying $60 for a dish alone! This program is called the Dish Buy Back Program!

CJ

I subscribed to Directv about 4 years ago now and will never switch to anything different. I have the "Choice" package with over 100 channels plus "XM Radio" stations with music from the early 1940's through today along with Classical, Jazz and country.

The picture is all digital and I do not have to worry about getting a coupon to acquire a settop box come February 2009.

For about $64 a month I don't think you can beat it.

I haven't had a cable or satellite dish since 2005. Since we do not spend a lot of time viewing tv anymore we decided to just go for an outside antenna and watch broadcast tv. Since the government has mandated for all tv airing done digitally, we applied and got 2 $40 coupons and both 2 digital tv converter to continue to receive broadcast tv programs.

• Ken H

Just no more free TV. I don't know how going to get our local programing. As the cable and/or Satellite don't offer it. We live in the country and have Satellite dish. The local channels are that main close metro city, not were we live.

I have Direct TV & have two dishes. One is for High Definition. I don't watch a lot of tv in the summer, but I do watch more tv when winter & its 50° daily temps & cold nights (high 20's & low to high 30's roll around) I bought a sport's package & now I can watch the Cleveland Cavs play & watch the pre/post game programs. I can watch other teams play as well. I love the HD...what a super picture.

• DR W

I'm mad as hell and advocate that everyone in the USA turns off TVs February 19, 2009, until the cable and satellite company allow us to choose the packages of channels each subscriber selects.