namsaev asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Is this the truth about Joe the Plumber?

Barack Obama discovers a leak under his sink, so he calls Joe the

Plumber to come and fix it.

Joe drives to Obama's house, which is located in a very nice

neighborhood and where it's clear that all the residents make more than $250,000 (I think its down to $100,000 now) per year.

Joe arrives and takes his tools into the house. Joe is led to the room

that contains the leaky pipe under a sink. Joe assesses the problem and tells Obama, who is standing near the door, that it's an easy repair that will take less than 10 minutes.

Obama asks Joe how much it will cost.

Joe immediately says, "$9,500."

"$9,500?" Obama asks, stunned. "But you said it's an easy repair!"

"Yes, but what I do is charge a lot more to my clients who make more

than $250,000 per year so I can fix the plumbing of everybody who makes less than that for free," explains Joe. "It's always been my philosophy. As a matter of fact, I lobbied government to pass this philosophy as law, and it did pass earlier this year, so now all plumbers have to do business this way. It's known as 'Joe's Fair Plumbing Act of 2008.' Surprised you haven't heard of it, senator."

In spite of that, Obama tells Joe there's no way he's paying that much

for a small plumbing repair, so Joe leaves.

Obama spends the next hour flipping through the phone book looking for another plumber, but he finds that all other plumbing businesses listed have gone out of business. Not wanting to pay Joe's price, Obama does nothing.

The leak under Obama's sink goes unrepaired for the next several days.

A week later the leak is so bad that Obama has had to put a bucket under the sink. The bucket fills up quickly and has to be emptied every hour, and there's a risk that the room will flood, so Obama calls Joe and pleads with him to return.

Joe goes back to Obama's house, looks at the leaky pipe, and says "Let's see - this will cost you about $21,000."

"A few days ago you told me it would cost $9,500!" Obama quickly fires back.

Joe explains the reason for the dramatic increase. "Well, because of the 'Joe's Fair Plumbing Act,' a lot of rich people are learning how to fix

their own plumbing, so there are fewer of you paying for all the free

plumbing I'm doing for the people who make less than $250,000. As a

result, the rate I have to charge my wealthy paying customers rises

every day.

"Not only that, but for some reason the demand for plumbing work from the group of people who get it for free has skyrocketed, and there's a long waiting list of those who need repairs. This has put a lot of my fellow plumbers out of business, and they're not being replaced - nobody is going into the plumbing business because they know they won't make any money. I'm hurting now too - all thanks to greedy rich people like you who won't pay their fair share."

Obama tries to straighten out the plumber: "Of course you're hurting,

Joe! Don't you get it? If all the rich people learn how to fix their own

plumbing and you refuse to charge the poorer people for your services,

you'll be broke, and then what will you do?"

Joe immediately replies, "Run for president, apparently."

• Nana64

Excellent analogy, but you know that the mathematically challenged Democrats won't "get it". Here's another one:

Yesterday on my way to lunch at Joe's, I passed one of the homeless guys in that area, with a sign that read "Vote Obama, I need the money."

Once in Joe's my waiter had on a "Obama 08" tee shirt.

When the bill came, I decided not to tip the waiter and explained to him while he had given me exceptional service, that his tee shirt made me feel he obviously believes in Senator Obama's plan to redistribute the wealth.

I told him I was going to redistribute his tip to someone that I deemed more in need--the homeless guy outside.

He stood there in disbelief and angrily stormed away.

I went outside, gave the homeless guy $3 and told him to thank the waiter inside, as I had decided he could use the money more.

The homeless guy looked at me in disbelief but seemed grateful.

As I got in my truck, I realized this rather unscientific redistribution experiment had left the homeless guy quite happy for the money he did not earn, but the waiter was po'd that I gave away the money he did earn.

Well, I guess this redistribution of wealth is going to take a while to catch on, with those doing the work.

Do you understand economics at any depth greater than Econ 101? As long as it's easy to get into the plumbing business (and presumably it is considering Joe doesn't even have a license) then the increased demand for cheap plumbing will result in several people going into the business, not leaving it. Eventually Joe will be out of a job if he continues to charge outlandish prices. Not to mention the fact that as long as there are rich people that are willing to pay a ton for plumbing services, then everybody wins. This analogy is full of holes.

• Jane

I work for a manufacturer. I watch the owner making millions and has a huge yauht, a multi-million dollar house, expensive cars, and takes lavish trips. Yet it pisses me off that he only pays me and my co-workers slightly over minimum wage, and now he's whining he might have to pay higher taxes to help take care of us "poor" people!?# I"m pissed, and I'm sure many other americans are too.

No, the truth is Joe does not have a plumbers licence and cannot work in Illinois, he also owes back taxes so he works for cash under the table so he doesn't have to ever pay taxes while he aspires to be BIlly Ray Cirus less the mullet.

• pacer

I LOVE IT AND YES HE"S RIGHT!

Look how good Obama can lie here; Last week Obama said my “Muslim faith”, well I don’t care if he is Muslim, but he wants’ to be President of the United States and he has consistently lied to us about his faith. Even his autobiography tells he is Muslim; this explains how he could sit in Church and listen to Wright preaching of hatred towards the white race in America. Listen and watch his eye’s and face as he CATCHES himself accidentally telling the truth (for once)! An interview last week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKGdkqfBICw

Youtube thumbnail

No, that's an example how conservatives need fictional immature stories to make their failed policies and backward ideology sound good because in reality they bring nothing but disaster.

The American people don't need a story to see what conservatism unchecked does, the last eight years were more than enough. The Bush years will forever be known as the exposure and bankruptcy of the American regressive right.

That's the truth about Obama's socialist tax the "rich" scheme.

Props

• Tom

No.....the truth is that the man asked Obama a very simple question which revealed the true Obama.

A "spread the wealth" socialist.

That would be 21,000 x 7 = $147,000 for all of McCain's houses.