Sweet Pea asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Anybody know about food allergies in cats?

My cat has been scratching her ears/neck and shaking her head, I took her to the vet and she said that she is allergic to the food I have her on.

I have her on Wellness, the vet recommends Royal Canin and Eukenuba and other "vet recommended" brands.

I don't trust her advise, is there any bettter brands that I can try....could this be it.

p.s. I refuse to feed the vet recommended brands because that is who puts vets through there "pet nutrition" courses. They are very biased and contain nothing but poor ingredients like meat by-products.

I feed wet food, the kinds she recommended are apparently dry only, not good.

Wouldn't there be any other symptoms I could look out for.

I really appreciate ALL the opinions I can get!

Thanks

I sure do. Oh, I'm not an expert exactly but I have a kitty who has a problem with grains.

Food allergies are quite common. It's possible your cat's problem is something else but it's very easy to do food trials so you can rule that out.

It could be a particular ingredient in the Wellness (carageenan comes to mind) or it could be the protein source. If you're feeding one of those that contains fish, that could very well be it.

If you are using one of their fishy ones, and if you really prefer to stick with the Wellness brand, then just try their turkey or chicken. Beef.....not so much. I'm not a big fan of beef for cat food.

If you eliminate the fish but the problem still exists, then it's either something in that food or it's the protein source. So at this point you would need to try other brands.

Stick with chicken or turkey from another line. If you're still seeing issues, then you can probably point to the protein source as the problem.

So now you go with a novel protein such as venison.

I highly suggest this stepped approach because it'll really help you pinpoint the issue. If you just switch from the Wellness to a different brand with a novel protein, you won't know where the problem was. But if you first eliminate fish (if there's any in the food), and then eliminate the brand, and then eliminate the protein source, you should be able to get a good handle on the problem.

As for which foods to try, I would stick with a grainless one. Choose any from this list. What to feed:

http://www.catinfo.org/commercialcannedfoods.htm

The ones that offer novel proteins are B.G. from Merrick, Natural Balance, Nature's Variety and Evo. Probably others but these are coming to mind first.

I have a cat who had constant itches, and she actually has a mite allergy. She is on Revolution year round, and that takes care of the problem. Did the vet culture her ears? A cat can have a yeast infection in their ears, and it can produce those same symptoms. Most (not all, but most) food allergies are really due to the corn in the food, and Wellness does not have any. Royal Canin is high in corn, and Eukenuba is full of by-products, so surely you don't want to step down to them from Wellness. I'd rule out the mites and a yeast infection first, and then switch to something like Natural Balance Duck and Pea before I'd do the by-product laden foods. If you feed canned, EVO makes a venison one, and Natural Instincts has some rabbit and pheasant foods that are a good alternative protein source. I have a cat who's allergic to corn - so that eliminates all the vet recommended diets. Why they can't come out with a prescription diet that isn't all corn and by-products is something I do not understand.

• J C

I have a cat who had constant itches, and she actually has a mite allergy. She is on Revolution year round, and that takes care of the problem. Did the vet culture her ears? A cat can have a yeast infection in their ears, and it can produce those same symptoms. Most (not all, but most) food allergies are really due to the corn in the food, and Wellness does not have any. Royal Canin is high in corn, and Eukenuba is full of by-products, so surely you don't want to step down to them from Wellness. I'd rule out the mites and a yeast infection first, and then switch to something like Natural Balance Duck and Pea before I'd do the by-product laden foods. If you feed canned, EVO makes a venison one, and Natural Instincts has some rabbit and pheasant foods that are a good alternative protein source.

I have a cat who's allergic to corn - so that eliminates all the vet recommended diets. Why they can't come out with a prescription diet that isn't all corn and by-products is something I do not understand.

Source(s): Many years of cat rescue
  • Ken

Good for you. Vets knowledge about nutrition lacks in too many cases

Wellness is grain free so you have eliminated most of the allergens. The net thing to do would be to try and eliminate certain meats or fish. Try no chicken then no beef etc.

(Hope you are feeding the canned kind)

My cat also has/had food allergies. We put her on the vet-recommended food (c/d, I believe). We mix that with some canned food. I don't remember the brand right now, I think it's Natural Balance. She still gets some flare ups now and then but it's much better than it was.

i work at a vet and foor allergic cats should be on Euk. Lamb and Barely or Hills Feline Z/D which both can only be bought at a vet with prescription

I think I would trust a vets knowledge in nutrition (someone who went through years of education focused on animal health) before someone with just personal experience.. but thats just me.

Are you sure its not ear mites? Or maybe wax build up bugging them?

get science diet, its a little expensive but it contains no junk or corn meal, its all natural!

here is a site for a $3 off coupon!!! goodluck!

Source(s): www.Hillspet.com/naturesbest

My old cat was alergic to milk.