Anybody know about food allergies in cats?

My cat has been scratching her ears/neck and shaking her head, I took her to the vet and she said that she is allergic to the food I have her on. I have her on Wellness, the vet recommends Royal Canin and Eukenuba and other "vet recommended" brands. I don't trust her advise, is there any bettter brands that I... show more My cat has been scratching her ears/neck and shaking her head, I took her to the vet and she said that she is allergic to the food I have her on.
I have her on Wellness, the vet recommends Royal Canin and Eukenuba and other "vet recommended" brands.

I don't trust her advise, is there any bettter brands that I can try....could this be it.

p.s. I refuse to feed the vet recommended brands because that is who puts vets through there "pet nutrition" courses. They are very biased and contain nothing but poor ingredients like meat by-products.
Update: I feed wet food, the kinds she recommended are apparently dry only, not good.

Wouldn't there be any other symptoms I could look out for.

I really appreciate ALL the opinions I can get!

Thanks