jbgainesii asked in SportsMartial Arts · 1 decade ago

Do you think a top martial artist could beat a top MMA fighter?

I keep seeing posts from people who claim these top martial artists in Asia could beat easily kill an MMA fighter. You know, the people who claim Bruce Lee could have beaten Mike Tyson in his prime.

The argument always comes down to if Bruce Lee got the first shot in it would kill Tyson instantly, which is the common point for martial artists vs MMA... so who is the way a Western style fighter couldn't kill a martial artist in a single shot? I don't find this point very probably as all fighers are trained to avoid deadly blows.

I personally don't see Bruce Lee being able to take a Tyson Punch. Maybe some of you are too young to remember, but Tyson was regularly knocking old cold men who weighed over 100 lbs more than Lee. Size matters a great bit.

Read about a Japanese Judu champion (he held the title of world champion before Judo was an international sensation) who lost to a European unranked novice because he was just overpowered by the larger body.

No one has one-punch kill ability?

Not familiar with boxing history, huh? It may not always be instant death, but the trauma will lead to death if not treated.

Favorite Answer

Well,MMA is popular because it intertwines the fighting styles that exploited the DEADLY TOUCH" (BJJ exploited the most) anyways,as soon as they get outdone in there standup (wich wont be easy) They have a second way,Ground,slams,and all that. MMA is a thinkers style of fighting. Not all trainers can avoid it,but I dont know anyone who can deliver one iether without some combo.

I just have to say Bruce Lee was a bad @$$ okay...anyway off to the point, in my own point of view, top MMA fighters ARE top Martial Artist because most of these guys have trained in their respective crafts then integrated other martial arts also, that is the point of MMA. When you think about MMA, it is neither western or asian, its MIXED for craps sake. So my answer will sound like I'm sitting on the fence, but it is entirely on each person's skill. No matter how great a guy is at wrestling, it isn't going to matter much to someone who was trained to kill since 5 years old. (He'd probably waiting for the wrestler to try and take him down and then hell just snap his neck or something) So point of the story is, skill it what determines in. Sometimes is advantageous to hone one single skill while some others lay themselves too thin trying to excel at everything but it just all depends.

Top martial artists like to make claims because that's their mondum vivendi, MMA fighter's national Geographic channel found with scientific data that they are superior than top martial artists.but a fight between Bruce Lee and Mike Tyson bruce will be the winner but never by the first shot.

Source(s): M.M.A.
  • Ryan K

mma fighters fight for a living. They choose which martial arts to train in to be the most effective. I have yet to see a top 10 mma fighter train in jeet kun do. The consensus is boxing, muay thai, wrestlilng, jiujitsu. Some of them have backgrounds in karate but all this talk about the "death touch" and how bruce lee would kill tyson or whatever is non sense.

I wouldn't discount the traditional martial artists in a no rule contest where things such as joint destruction/eyes/groin are legal targets.

However, MMA practitioners tend to be more balanced martial artists than someone specialized in one art.

Im not even gunna read that mma fighter has been training for this for years. the top martial artisit might be a top muay artist but when its taken to the floor ? ask your self

Most mixed martial artists are from high level martial arts

backgrounds,Brazilian JiuJitsu blackbelts, Judo blackbelts, karate blackbelts, the guy that just beat up Kimbo was an ex Karate champion. Alot of martial artist make the transition into MMA to test their skills and to make money.

• Sandi

1.Brandon Vera 2.Philippe Nover 3.Mark Munoz 4.Bj Penn 5.Kevin Johnson 6.Houston Alexander 7.Kimbo Slice 8.Bobby Lashley 9.Anderson Silva 10.Rashad Evans

The major problem with this logic is the simple fact that MMA is a sport and traditional martial arts were developed for war.

No real MMA fan wants to see an athlete killed or seriously injured in a match.

If you've studied a traditional form of kung fu or something related, you know that most strikes are designed to cripple your adversary. When I studied a tradition kung fu style, almost every kicking strike was aimed just above or below the knee with the intention of destroying the joint. Likewise, hand strikes were often to the throat or eye.

Such strikes are highly effective for self-defense but are simply unacceptable in MMA.

The judo "novice" you are referring to is ANTON GEESINK of HOLLAND .

He was a novice in international competition but he was a 1st degree black belt .He then went on to be the 1st non japanese to win gold at the next olympics in the heavy weight division.They created the cruiser or open weight division for guys his size.

ANTON is currently chief of security for the red light distric of copenhagen.

As to your question no one has one punch kill capability and all traditional martial artists know that is a myth especially against an conditioned opponent.

If the traditionalist is well versed in grappling and grappling reversals it's anybodys fight.In a sport situation I will put my money on the grappler everytime.