how do I get along with a control freak parent?

I am 16 and cant get along with my mom. I know that her father was manipulative and a pure Christan and pulled off crap that made her regret her life...but anyways I have a job and do a lot at school, this barely gives me any time by myself, and she wants to use that to manipulate money (charging rent) by either paying $50 a month or by doing insane amounts of chores and she also before my job, used money for excuses Ex. (internet in my room "if you can afford it I will allow it") but now that I have money its massive chores in an hour (i get home at 8:30 after work or 7-8:00 with the broadcasting class) or pay the rent witch isn't right or fair When I bring up things shes said (internet in room) she always changes her words and adds new conditions I don't know how to cope I need help.

Favorite Answer

You are 16 and have a job already and do a lot at school. Good for you. Your mom should be happy with you. You shouldn't have to pay rent. As has been mentioned, it is illegal for your mom to charge you rent at 16. As for doing chores...tell your mom that you want to help around the house but have limited time do to work and school. Suggest that she make a set list of chores that you both agree on and that you do them once a week. My mom can be controlling and that is what we do at my house. For my mom it is her mother that is manipulative. (Still is but that's a whole 'nother story.) My brother and I do chores once a week on the weekends since we have time and stick to a set list. (we alternate chores). I am 19 and he is 16 and we have always done chores. However, you should definitely not pay rent. Illegal mean illegal. She is required by law to give you food, shelter, clothes, etc. until you are 18. Try small steps with someone who is controlling. Get her to relax on one thing at a time. My mom is much more relaxed now because of that. (And because I have a somewhat controlling personality too so we butt heads and I wouldn't let her control me so she stopped trying as much). Good luck.

Source(s): I have a controlling mom too.
  • angel

well by law she can't charge a minor rent tell her it's illegal and say i will pay my internet bill but you are required to feed and shelter me until i turn 18. Or you could sit down and write up an agreement on what you are willing to pay and try and agree on paper what your chores will be make sure you both sign and date it so you will have it as a reference for the Future.

• yozamp

Being a make certain isn't precisely an straightforward pastime you will desire to make useful your toddlers get solid educations you will desire to make useful they do no longer do drugs or alchol you will desire to guard them at present from baby predators drug sellers people who have not got there appropriate hobbies at heart you will desire to have regulations and regulations deploy and shop curfews Curfews shop you from being killed raped overwhelmed or in a automobile mutually as somebody is using under the impression of alcohol while you're fortunate you finally end up with a baby who gets solid grades behaves and is going by potential of the regulations at present there is plenty greater accessible Human traffiking rings the place the purchase and sell toddlers like livestock baby predators who dequise themselve on the internet as your pal after which you pass meet them its a fifty two year previous perv till now you knock your mom and dad walk in there footwear for at some point dont even get me happening feeding you using you around putting outfits on your returned and a roof over your head are you able to have adequate funds all that

At 16 i do believe you should be contributing to the expenses in the house it will only teach you how to better prepare yourself when you move out.

There's your problem - her father was manipulative but considered himself a "pure Christian" - what a hypocrite!

Just realize you will soon be out on your own, where you can make all your own choices all by yourself without having to listen to her, unless you want to. Be patient.