TCR asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 1 decade ago

Can a ceiling fan light kit be installed WITHOUT a fan? i.e. directly to the ceiling?

I have found a great light fixture, but it is meant to be installed as a light kit on a ceiling fan, not as a stand-alone ceiling fixture. Can I install it alone, without a fan, directly to the ceiling? How do I know which wires to cap/ignore and which to use?

Wiring is old but okay, circa 1929, plain fixture (no fan) was in place previously.

The wires I'm wondering about capping/ignoring are those on the new light -- it seems there are extra for connecting to the nonexistent fan.

Favorite Answer

The biggest difficulty will be determining how to properly mount the fan ceiling light kit to a regular ceiling light fixture box. The hole spacing is usually totally different on these two items.

You may need to buy a threaded tube that will go through the cneter of the fan light and that tube can then be screwed into a metal strap that goes across the existing ceiling box. The strap has holes in it for two screws and a hole inthe middle for the threaded tube.

You will need to be imaginative about getting the parts together.

Source(s): Hanging fans for the last 12 years

1

Source(s): Become Professional Photographer http://teres.info/ProPhotographyCourse

Yes you can install the light fixture just as you would any other ceiling light. If there was a ceiling fan there before that had seperate switches for the light and fan you just need to figure out which wire went to which switch. Sorry it's hard to be more specific without knowing what was there before or how old the wiring in your house is. Depending when the wiring was put in you could have wires with plastic-like insulation where each wire is color coded, or in older houses you could just have wires with and old fabric and tar type insulation where they would all be black.

Source(s): have worked as a general handyman for over 25 years

Sure it can be installed. If you electricity circuit is save (pretty old 1929) than it's no problem.

Give it a try, you can always buy a ceiling light kit later.

http://www.ceiling-fan-wizard.com/ceiling-fan-ligh...

you would have to modify a box to mount the fixture on. The light fixture only has 3 wires. green for ground, white for nuetral and black for the hotwire

• shanan

you may desire to drop down the plate on the ceiling and examine to work out that the blue cord is expounded to the black cord in the ceiling container. additionally connect the white to the white in the mild equipment (yet you knew that) If the blue extends down into the decrease area of fan the place the mild equipment connects then you certainly could desire to connect the blue to the black of the mild equipment.

I really appreciate this post. I have a pull chain light in my apartment, same scenario. There are not allot of pull chain lamp options, but a ton that are lights for fans, I am embarking on this task. I will update!

2

Source(s): Ultimate Photography Guide http://LearnPhotography.latis.info/?YuU7

Wire it according to directions, and just don't install the fan blades? I dunno.