What could be the cause of our cats hair loss?

Recently, my cousin gave my family a cat. She had hair loss problems, and we thought it was stress or diet issues. But now, one of our other cats is losing his fur, the same way.

The hair loss is on the back of the legs, the lower back and abdomen and the tail. It's particularly bad at the base of the tail. They have both been grooming themselves a lot lately.

What could the problem be? Is there a cure? Will the hair loss be permanent(he's such a beautiful cat-- long haired flame point siamese)?

Update:

It's not fleas and it's not in rings, it's kind of gradual, like that cat is grooming himself bald. But only his lower half.

Update 2:

And they are both indoor cats.

Update 3:

We've had fleas before, and it wasn't an issue, meaning he didn't lose his fur. We have been keeping them up to date with flea medicine and the new cat has been too. We've checked for fleas, and fleas are pretty visible.

Then we get this new cat who is losing her fur, on a certain part of her body. Whatever it is spreads to another cat, losing his fur in the same pattern. It sounds more like a disease or a fungus than fleas.

Update 4:

Food alergies are not contagious. Whatever it is spread from one cat to another cat.

It is not fleas, we have checked for that.

If anyone knows what it is, can you tell me if the treatment is expensive, because since both my sister and I are headed off to college this year it's getting harder to find the money to even take the cats to the vet.

Please help, I'm very stressed out about this.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • kitty
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

flea allergies,it has to be,even though you say no,use a good flea treatment and i bet the hair will grow back and you will have a happy cat.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • sawaya
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

it may be separation rigidity or stress. as quickly as cats start up licking a niche, each and every so often it is going to become a habit. you could attempt the plug-in version of Feliway (it is available at Petsmart or different puppy shops). If the Feliway would not help, your Kitty might want a direction of antidepressants from the vet to assist "ruin the cycle". stress licking in many circumstances starts on their abdomen and can progression to their complete abdomen or onto their bum and thigh section. it could have all started as an allergic reaction, or been led to via a manner of life exchange (a flow, new infant, etc.). one among our cats, Piglet, had a stress licking difficulty for the duration of our final flow. She replaced into better after issues went back to widespread (and a few help from the Feliway).

• 1 decade ago

Could be flea allergies, ringworm, or other allergies. It takes only one flea to cause flea allergies, so check for fleas. If it is ringworm, which is a fungus, it is contagious and could have been spread to your other cat. Check for areas that look like a ring, that will help diagnose ringworm.

The best thing to do is take him to the vet and have him checked out.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

get them to a vet to be checked out especially since this has carried over to one of your other cats . If it was just one of your cats you have had then I would say it could be an allergy or an compulsive behavior disorder which can be treated with meds but if this all started when you brought the new cat in it could be a a parasite or a mange he passed to your other cats. Take a stool sample in with you that you are sure is his so they can look for parasites and worms that you can't see with the naked eye but don't wait act now.

Source(s): 20 years of cats as pets
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Hair loss affects both men and women. Here are some natural remedies that can help boost hair growth: https://bitly.im/aM1RA While genetics plays a role, there are other factors, including: hormonal imbalances, an underactive thyroid gland, nutrient deficiencies and insufficient scalp circulation.

• Chey
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

I listed a link to assist you for information.

allergic dermatitis and contact dermatitis is the most common.

My first thought is cleaning products,out door chemicals or allergy to a food product.

Stress licking requires hairball remedy to prevent another problem.

If you don't mind post me on your discovery.

We had a cat that first had food allergy and stress response hair loss +, and then she got contact dermatitis from chemicals brought in by another cat and spring gardening.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Sounds like demodexx or fleas.

• 1 decade ago

TAKE HIM TO A VET duhhhhhhh!

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.