What do you think of the Gospel of Judas?

Has anyone read the recently discovered Gospel of Judas? It's quite old, and dates to the early Christian era. It is a Sethian gnostic text, so it is quite out of keeping with modern Christian beliefs. Anyone have opinions, wish to discuss, etc?

Update:

Many interesting points raised. Yes indeed it is a gnostic creation. It is hardly fake, the extant manuscript is carbon dated to the later half of the fourth century, and textual clues lead us to believe it was based on an earlier work. The actual words of Judas, unlikely, but an interesting picture of the diverse practices of early Christians. As for Irenaeus of Lyon's rejection of it, it still is a rejection from a purely theological standpoint.

It can hardly be called 'fake,' but it certainly isn't standard.

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

I do think it's quite likely that Judas was doing what Jesus told him. They were good friends, and I'm guessing the whole turning Jesus in thing was his idea. I'm sure he thought it was inevitable anyway.

I don't know much else about it, though.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

hi, it is a fictional paintings on a par with the Da Vinci code, it most truthfully derived from properly after the superb Apostle(John) had died so as that it will be complicated to debunk, and became the paintings of Talmudic Jews in an attempt to discredit the different 4 Gospels. Judas wouldn't have written a Gospel in his lifetime as Jesus wouldn't have given His permission because He went to the bypass after Judas dedicated suicide and hence Judas would not were able to jot down an entire Gospel of the Lord, and maximum seriously would truthfully have not witnessed the resurrection of Jesus with out which no Gospel would have any credence.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It is irrelevant to Christianity. It is not an interesting picture of the diverse practices of early Christians since Christianity is not compatible with Gnosticism. Gnosticism is is separate belief system that tried to hijack Christianity. Gnostics preexisted Christianity when they encountered the religion they modified it and used the exterior framework of Christianity. They took the characters of the Christian story and wrote a new story of their own to teach the elements of their religion. You have the same thing happening today with the "New Age Movement". They are rewriting Christian and Jewish theology to try to recreate these religions to spread a new and different message that Jesus or Moses taught. Sadly it seems to be working.

• 1 decade ago

Gnostics are not Christians, so to say the "Gospel" of Judas is out of line with modern Christian beliefs is the understatement of the millennium.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Ooh, Gnostic slamfest incoming.

I rather like it. But the Gnostic gospels are technically heretical to most of Christianity, but over all Jesus asking him to do it seems perfectly in line with the stories.

• Daniel
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

It was written hundreds of years after the Bible was completed. And Judas obviously couldnt have written it. There are several so-called gospels which are merely made up, well after the fact that Jesus cme and died and rose again. These imposter gospel are fairly easy to recognize, since they dont correspond to the rest of the Bible, and they have no historical validity behind them.

• 1 decade ago

wow what a question!

yes i have looked into it

the gospel of judas cannot be the fundamental truht of all gospel knowledge but it can add to the gosple that which is misleading or the misunderstanding of what actually happened in the last days of jesus.

there is a tomb of judas, i believe this tomb of jesus shows that jesus had a wife and a child but the tomb is empty, there were no bones found in it.

• 1 decade ago

I believe the Gospel of Judas has a lot of merit. He played an intricate part in that time.

• 1 decade ago

It's actually been considered a proven forgery since the 6th century A.D. Nobody actually takes it seriously, except Christians - who only view it as the heresy that it is.

• Barney
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Apocrapha

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.