How do you feel Buddhism should be classified?

Buddhism has been put into various categories, ranging from "Religion" to "Philosophy." Where do you think it should be placed? Give reasons.

I think it should be classified as a Way of Thinking...or is that basically a philosophy?

Anyway, I love Buddhism, and I'm going to join a center as soon as I get home from vacation. None of the other religions really work for me because they all have like a God/ Gods, who control your life. And I'm a firm believer that it's you who control's your life. Reading the Bible every night, or visiting your temple every morning isn't going to make you successful. It's your hard work, respect for others, yourself and responsibility (The Dalai Lama's 3 R's) that will.

maximum individuals interior the international, no longer basically Christians, are ignorant as to what Buddhism is. i have not in any respect common a Buddhist to worship Buddha, at the same time as an idol they don't worship him. those are for sure those who're basically guessing what a faith is in step with that is call, with out really education themselves. that is really pathetic. the in straight forward words conflict I see with being Christian and Buddhist, is the very incontrovertible truth that maximum Christians keep on with a holy scripture, that is regularly frowned upon in Buddhism because by technique of their declare it creates blind faith and an lack of ability to study and detect spirituality and faith. I happen to completely consider that. i imagine the perception in holy scriptures is nonsense. I agree far better with Buddhism than Christianity because in my opinion... i do not imagine Christianity really does tutor love, equality, and tolerance. Sorry yet those words do not describe many Christians i recognize, they do even if describe the Buddhists i recognize. i do not imagine you will discover the bible because the infallible note of God and say that Christianity teaches love and tolerance. (Galet09 is a perfect celebration of what I mean) -Connor

Philosphy/Spiritual Path. I practice the teaching but have no belief in any gods. But it doesn't bother me if someone classifies it as a religion.

Spirituality

A more tolerant,peaceful religion than most. No matter how you feel about it, The Dalai Lama doesn't come off as one of these fire and brimstone know it alls to me!

It is a religion. There are theistic and atheistic Buddhists. Religions do not necessarily have to be theistic (though the vast majority of them are).

• Why does it need to be classified? It seems we are too eager to slap a label on everything.

It is a Spiritual Path. I would say that is more like Religion.

Both are acceptable and correct. It is, at least, very solid in theory.

Source(s): Hell, look at em!

Just another lie?