Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCommuting · 1 decade ago

Do you think that the constant increase in ERP rates has alleviated road congestion?

Update:

We want to hear from you. Share with us your knowledge, experiences and views on current events and happenings. The questions posted will be open for 3 days, after which the community will vote for the best answer. Let Singapore hear you!

452 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best answer

No

• 1 decade ago

Every reason LTA is going to give will be to improve on the road traffic flow by increasing more ERP gantry. Sometimes I am really frustrated about all this. The solution from LTA for road congestion will always be increase ERP gantry or increase ERP charges. Is there any better option other then this? Although I am not a driver but it seems to me that LTA must come out with a better plan rather then this. If this is the case anybody can just sit in the office by just implementing ERP increase when this problem arise again.

By setting more gantry and increase ERP charges, is it a solution in the long run? To improve by encouraging people to take public transport what are the measures done?Did LTA done a good job in improving traffic flow? All this will be in peoples mind.

Public transport in Singapore is definately better you can find in anywhere else but I believe that it can improve further so that more people will be encourage to take public transport. So far I have seen improvement in the bus transport activity. SMRT has also been helpful by introducing the lunch time rush of waiting time just 3.5 mins only. I believe this is what the people in Singapore wants to see. New action being taken rather then keep using the same old method by just increase the price, which is ERP.

• 1 decade ago

No! It's obviously doesn't help at all. Singapore is a small island, I don't see the point in setting up so many ERP gantries and still operates till late at night. Which route is left use without paying extras $$ when more and more ERP gantries are starting up? Does that mean we have to pay more if we feel like going home early? Everything is increasing at the moment, I strongly feel that this isn't the right time to incease ERP charges. Shouldn't the GOVERMENT help to relieve these unwanted add-ons to our everyday lifes. ERP doesn't only affect drivers, what about cab drivers, commuters, who's working so hard to earn a living, and facing increased ERP charges? Is ERP just an excuse to lifting traffic congestion, and just another good source of income for goverment? I hope all comments and view written here helps, as Govement has never really care what the public are facing after they implement new rules n charges.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It will reduced congestion when the rates are not really affordable by the public. Given the present situation with inflation on food prices and oil price rising, the public will

already have a 2nd thought about owning a car due to the money involved in using and maintainaining the car which includes car park etc..

Now with the ERP increasing, people would want to try and avoid the gantries by taking "a longer route" which will waste time and once they found out that public transport is a better option, the public might choose to give up the car and that will reduced the number of cars on the road.

You can talk about controlling the COE prices but i feel that nothing is more costly then an increase in daily expenditure like petrol, ERP etc. in the long run.

Actually, i am thinking the government is working on the mindset that many people are driving to work which cause congestion and therefore trying to build more MRT for the public to use and encouraging the public to use because its "GREENER" and saves the environment and the earth.

Source(s): Own observation and analysis.
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I havent bothered to read all 400+ comments but i believe i'm the only one who thinks ERP will help alleviate congestion. Roads cover about 60 - 70% of singapore's surface, and we still face congestion.

As many have mentioned, we shouldnt prevent people from owning cars. Therefore COE prices and and road taxes have been reduced. I'm sure many have noticed the big jump in vehicles on the road.

Inevidently, this will cause so much congestion the likes of Bangkok and Hongkong that it would be useless to own a car. If you think the congestion is bad now, imagine what it would be if there was no form of control. honestly, who doesnt want to drive?

In order to regulate congestion, there needs to be a deterrant factor to reduce the number of vehicles using the roads at specific times and likewise, encouraging factors to use alternative routes and transport.

One deterrant factor is the ERP system. Of course this would only work if these drivers feel the pinch. If you are complaining about it, then its working. If you dont then you are probably priveledged enough to do so. otherwise you can consider waking up earlier, going home later or using public transport.

Look, life isnt fair, dont blame the govt because someone has a higher paying job cos he did well at school.

So let me answer the question. Those complaining about ERP, you have either adapted to the system as a survival instinct to save your pocket or are on the edge of doing so. If prices increase, those who were on the edge now cannot afford thus relieving more congestion and previously non-complainers will now complain. If this keeps up we will have a nation of complainers and very smooth roads.

My question then is; is this what we want? of course alot of tweaking is necessary to find a balance plus support the system with efficient public transport means. But in the end, it serves the purpose of letting singaporeans own cars, and drive, which moderating use during peak periods.

lastly, let me add that singapore is not the first country to implement road pricing but is the most effective model that London and many other cities are trying to emulate. instead of complain, for the percentage of car owners we have on this tiny island, singapore has done a fantastic job of letting so many have a chance to own and drive a car without being like Bangkok every day. The one causing the congestion is not the govt. Its you.

• 1 decade ago

I think ERP is not a good solution for the long term. Maybe when the ERP goes up at a place, people will stop going there for awhile. But after sometime, people will just forget about it use back the road.

Just like in the cinemas. Has the increase in movie tickets stop you for long from going to watch movies? I don't think so.

But then again, lets face it. Singapore is so small with little space for road. If everyone can affort a car, then there will be serious congestions, and nobody can go anywhere with those traffic jams.

Not only that, other than ERP, I cant think of any other better solutions.

So i guess we will just have to deal with the ERP until someone thinks of a better solution.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No,NO,No.

My Business point of view(logistics and supply chain).

I have been doing deliveries for the last 2 years and congestion was never that bad except the morning rush hour which is the same in all countries in the world.

If you have travelled around the island like i have the last two years you will realise the hustle and bustle is no longer there.

The roads are empty(little traffic) from 11am -6pm. So why do you need more erps? besides being a revenue maker?

First lets look at what caused the congestion. There were more COEs released the last few years why? your guess is as good as mine. If you think congestion is unproductive than think again what happens when no one wants to go out to run their business. Do you want a vibrant bustling singapore or a "ghost town"

I think(my personal view) the ERP will have a adverse impact on the overall business in Singapore. With the new gantries coming up (especially the CBD area) and the rest.

The cost of goods and services (which is already high with the 7% GST and higher oil prices,rents etc,etc) will go up. Inflation will probably reach 7-9% by 2009. Productivity will drop. The overall business climate in Singapore will be slow.

If you compare the years before. Suppliers today dont deliver if the order is less than a certain amount of dollars.Even when it comes to fixing appointments they hesitate or should i say when they say "let me check my schedule" they mean lets see if i can put a few appointments or deliveries on that same day near the same area:).

And appointments or deliveries are fixed when the erp is cheapest and deliveries consolidated.. thats what i did and so did my competitors(its begining to be a norm) - so dont you think this will affect the overall service standards as well as the overall business efficency in Singapore?.

Those days when you place and order you get it the very next day. Nowadays you have to wait min 3-7 days maybe longer before it gets delivered. This will affect your gross sales at the end of the month because the turnaround time is longer.

So i think we will hear more of poorer sales reporting at the year end with higher operating cost and higher closing inventory.

All i can say is the many years in business, this is the worst time for businesses. Many businesses will fold maybe mine too :(

The operating cost is just way too high(housing,rents,water,electricity, transportation, education,medical,etc,etc) and the market is slowing, slowing, slowing down.

I just dont understand from the days of road tax, parf, arf, coes,parking coupons, cash card parking and now erps why are we paying so much. My greatest worry is how my family and kids and the rest of singaporeans are going to survive the ever spiralling cost of living and doing business in Singapore today and the next 10years from now.

Probably have to give up the business join the line at the CDs soon with my fellow countryman ...sigh..

• 1 decade ago

No, i don't think so. As others say, people will try to avoid the timing of ERP in order to pay less or free. That mean during the ERP period, it MAY NOT congested but after the timing will still jammed. Others will try to go other routes to avoid the ERP and jammed other roads. Eg. ( Balestier). When motorist try to avoid ERP at CTE AMK (which is 2 gantry) from the town, most people travel through balestier road and jammed from 5pm plus till 8pm plus during weekdays. Only SOME people are able the afford the expensive ERP and the middle and lower income people are struggling. If ERP is remove away (except CBD area), i believe the congestion may be lesser at other areas except the expressway rather than jammed up all the minor roads. Decreasing of road tax doesn't really ease the pain of ERP. Increasing of COE doesn't stop people from buy cars. So why build so many gantrys and increased the rate if the problem is not solve?

• 1 decade ago

ERP does not alleviate road congestion. Contrary to the current believe that it alleviates road congestion, it actually helps to divert traffic to other less popular hours of road usage. Our ERP rate is still at a low cost considering the high traffic usage rate on the roads.

Just pay attention to the number of cars running on the road and we can see there are many 1 driver only in 1 car driven on the road to work or for other miscellaneous activity. Let us now assume there're 1 million drivers on the road at the same time on the same road space. That'll be taking up a large space area and the speed to travel would be reduced to a minimal.

Worst still, should an accident happen, the traffic flow would be immobilised. Considering the lost time and manhour, it would become inefficient and unproductive to the economy on the whole. People would become more impatient and resulting in stress and other unhealthy behaviour. A few very good example is the road along Orchard and Mt Elizabeth Link, Bencoolen Street into Beach Road and Suntec City, these roads are more congested before until the ERP was introduced. But now it needs to increase further because the flow of traffic seems to be getting higher and speed of vehicle has reduced.

Therefore, it is important that we should increase the ERP gantries on the road and control the flow of traffic through the adjustment of ERP rates to control the traffic flow.

• 1 decade ago

Increasing in ERP rates or the number of ERPs will not necessary reduce or ease traffic congestion. Singaporean has short term memory. We will complain about the increase initially but after a period of time, we will accept it.

To ease or reduce traffic congestion, ERPs is not the only solution. There are many factors involved. Curbing the numbers of cars will help to a certain degree, more important is we have to improve amenities, make public transport system more affordable they cannot increase just because all the rests are increasing. Public transport should operate on a 'no profit no loss' scenario contrary to what it is today. If we have an excellent public transport system and is very very affordable, public will opt to use the system. In this way, if Singaporean wants comfort, they will have to pay for it.

Until we improve our public transport system, we have to explore other means of controlling traffic congestion, not necessary to increase ERP rates. Increasing ERPs rate is a short term affair and an easy way out. We have to solve this matter at its root.

• 1 decade ago

NO. When time comes that you need to go via that road, you'd go no matter whatever amount you've got to pay. Increasing ERP will only increase revenue intake for some agency and the problem will still be there.

To really solve road congestion, go back to the basics... lesser vehicles means lesser congestion. What happen to the COE thingy which was initially implemented to tackle the congestion problem? My personal feel:

i. Levy on 2nd car owners/register residential address. Achieve a 1 household 1 car policy.

ii. Increase the initial deposit when purchasing a car. The practice of $1 and you drive the car away by some car loan is ridiculas!

Increasing ERP is temporary... it just create new problems on the long run.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.