Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootballEnglish Football · 1 decade ago

Will Rooney ever became great...?

... or at least close to Drogba, RVN, Eto'o, Inzaghi etc etc etc

Update:

@Psycho... so every player that scored more goals than him last season is better than him????

27 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

In the minds of many Englishmen, yes. In the minds of the rest of the world? NO. Rooney is a Very Good elite player, but a GREAT of the game? There are, even now, many players with more skill & better technique. (Ronaldo, Messi, Ronaldinho, Torres.......). If you aren't the best of your generation, (or even in the top 10), you are not, & will not be, a GREAT of the game of football.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Depends what you consider great. People who just think scoring goals is the be all and end all of the game will not think so. People who take in the contribution to the entirety of the game know he will be. When Ronaldo hoofs of to RM , Roo won't have to play second fiddle to him nor make the sacrifices to his game that he has this season. Sometimes people need to let go of personal prejudices. Eto'o has been poor this season also, as was Drogba and Inzaghi, well he has always been luckier than skillful. RVN, well yes, clinical and calculated finisher but has more experience on his side.

• Fusion
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

I think RVN and possibly Eto'o are on a higher tier of football compared to the other two. But Rooney will not compare to those in the future. He has had 4 years and Manchester United and i haven't seen any improvement. It would seem, looking at statistics he is in decline. Rooney will continue to have good career as long as he is at Man United. They will supply him with chances to score average amount of goals. And there will be players who will overshadow him and people wont bother questioning his contribution or the expectation of him.

• 1 decade ago

Last time I checked he is younger then all those players and scored more goals then both Drogba and Inzaghi while playing with the man who scored more goals then anyone else last year.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

He can never become great as long as hes playing the shadows of the Demi God Cristiano Ronaldo, rooney should either wait to see if Cr7 leaves this season or if cr7 sign long contract rooney should bail for a potential champions league team like Tottenham

• 1 decade ago

Rooney is good. But wont ever be on par with Raul, Henry, Eto'o.

Its the same for Fernando Torres. He is good but hasn't really proved himself yet. One season isn't enough give him a few more years.

I think Rooney has peaked, He isn't a clinical finisher and if he would of scored half the chances he had last season he would of had 40odd goals..

Rooney is though a great attacking midfielder. Scores a few and gets a few assists.

Wont ever be a great STRIKER..

Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Sir Psycho. You may be right on Inzaghi this last season where he was injured, but I do not ever see Rooney beating Inzaghi's European goal tally.

• 4 years ago

I only read the first two lines.. But i believe He is showing what his best is.... He is no pele or Messi or even C. Ronaldo.. But he is an excellent player that i believed gets hyped up way to much.... All the pundits and commentators are pretty much doing him up the bum from the commentary box.. They treat him like a Messiah

• 1 decade ago

Out of the players you've mentioned, I think he's up there with them. As for being great, he's young enough to achieve greatness but still has a long way to go to prove it.

• He relies upon his speed and strength and he does produce some marvellous passes. As he puts in weight and slows down he will lose his impact upon Man U and the english side. Much will depend upon how he reacts to marriage. I hope he stays off the dreaded drink and gambling.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.