Should our children be allowed study philosophy as an alternative to religion in schools?

As a baptised roman catholic, I had to study religion for 12 years in school. My secondary school was run by nuns, so had I[or anyone else] chosen to reject my given faith there certainly would have been social repercussions. As philosophy also teaches us about the important virtues in life, could it be seen as a... show more As a baptised roman catholic, I had to study religion for 12 years in school. My secondary school was run by nuns, so had I[or anyone else] chosen to reject my given faith there certainly would have been social repercussions. As philosophy also teaches us about the important virtues in life, could it be seen as a viable alternative option for children? If so, from a moral viewpoint, should children or parents make the choice?

EVERY school in Ireland is tied to a religious order.