Could 2 Corinthians 2:17 be applied to TV Preachers who get rich from spreading the word of God ?

2 Corinthians 2:17 Unlike so many, we do not peddle the word of God for profit. On the contrary, in Christ we speak before God with sincerity, like men sent from God. (niv)

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

"You recieved free you give free." Look into the lifestyles of these TV evangelists. They live better than their followers. They prey on the elderly, sick, poor and whomever else they can reach. They offer nothing but the hope of heaven or hell, which is not theirs to give. Only Jehovah decides who remains and who doesn't. Only Jehovah decides who has the heavenly calling and who doesn't. These people are peddlers for profit at the expense of Jehovah. The money is rightfully his so they should not be keeping it.

• 4 years ago

maybe that is what it takes to to get the message of salvation and condemnation across so that you can react and give in to what is the path to God in Heaven. If you feel that Christians are annoying why we only want you to know God not to change the way you are; God loves you just how you are. Can you imagine the type of annoying person you will become when you accept Jesus into your heart and remember how difficult you were(because you hate Christians) towards the well intentions of Christians and take the same message to other God haters?. Man what a testimony you will have to share.

• 1 decade ago

They only make a name for themselves and not God. I flip through the channels and their are so many on. I know people who live by watching these programs. It's sad how many people they have sucked in. Jesus walked the streets to spread the news why don't they, it's because they preach if you donate most of your money to them you will get rich like they are. Riches (greediness) won't get you to paradise.

Lovers of money is what they are.

• 1 decade ago

Yes, it could be.

Keep in mind that many will deny that they are rich, that the 'church' owns everything. They just reap the benefits.

It is necessary for any organization to have 'profits', that is enough money coming in to pay expenses and provide for maintenance, expansion, and other costs. It takes money to get paper and ink to print bibles. It takes money to pay for gas to deliver those bibles to their destination, it takes money to live.

This scripture should be applied to those who use that money for their own embellishment rather than the proclamation of God's Word. You don't need to own (or the church doesn't need to own) a Cadillac to go preaching. You don't need $50,000 in your pocket to tell people of Jehovah's promises.

As has been said, We received free, we give free. The original freeware (and Open Source, too).

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I would have to agree. Especially when you get assholes like benny hinn who say that the only way to the the blessing of God is to donate thousands of dollars to Benny Hinn Ministries. What a parasitic leech, he gives Christianity a bad name.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

There are many in this world who "gain" from the word of God.

"The fruitage of the spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faith, mildness, self-control."

Galatians 6:22,23

"The works of the flesh are manifest, and they are fornication, uncleanness, loose conduct, idolatry, practise of spiritism, enmities, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, contentions, divisions, sects, envies, drunken bouts, revelries, and things like these."

Galatians 6:19-21

We each have the responsibility to evaluate what we see and respond accordingly. Many evaluate TV preachers as from God and they respond according to their own heart condition.

"As for me and my household we shall serve Jehovah."

Joshua 24:15

x x x

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes it could and also be applied to any christian organization with millions in the bank, Jesus had nothing and so did his disciples, a strange turn in things that are not taken serious.

• tell me one denomination that has not at one time peddled the word of God for Profit? If you read your history you will know that you can't.

God is big business!££$$

Source(s): ST
  • lilith
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

I hate tv faith healers.

They're the worst televangelists, because they give ppl false hope, only for them to find out that they are still sick.

• 1 decade ago

LOL, among others, yes.

Bible says, freely received, freely given :)

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.