How much for a tune up? I think they're trying to rip me off?

I have a 2001 Mazda 626 V6 with 47,506mi. I took it into the shop because it has a miss while in idle. They said that I need a tune up (spark plugs and wires basically) and a fuel system cleaning. They quoted me $595.00. I told them it was too much and asked how much it would be without the fuel system cleaning, and they said $425.00. It sounds like too much to me. Is this more than I should pay for this? Also, the problem isn't really bad, it only happens occasionally, the engine kinda jerks, could I just keep driving it the way it is? thanks!

• Favourite answer

They are ripping you off!!!! You can change spark plugs and wires yourself for under $75 depending quality and brand you get. Have someone you know do it for you. On other answer saying you need pliers is wrong. You need spark plug socket and socket wrench and extension if they are deep. For fuel system they would just probably pour fuel system cleaner in fuel tank and say they cleaned out you fuel system. You can also buy that at the local auto parts store. Find reputable mechanic.

sounds like a rip-off to me,take it to a shop that will do a

diagnostic check to see what it really needs,it will be worth

the money spent.

Source(s): personal

is your check engine light on?

they are full of crap.and expensive crap at that.