Buying a desktop for gaming purpose?

I want to buy a desktop mainly for gaming purpose, but I don’t know much about the specifications required. All I know is that I need a good video card, and a decent processor. But regarding the processor, there’s core 2 duo or quad duo, or amd athlon some numbers x 2 or whatever terms that is appearing nowadays, so I’m not too sure which is better.

Is anyone out there with knowledge or experience in this tells me what processor is most suitable, what video card is suitable, and any other things that are required for a gaming desktop? Things like power supply and so on.

And regarding the OS, is Vista good? From what I heard from my friends who are using Vista, and from my limited experience in using it, it’s quite slow, and caused the computer slower in all aspects, is that true? If I were to get a gaming PC, should I use XP instead of Vista?

And I’m not looking for a desktop for extreme gaming, but it should at least be able to play Call of Duty 4 on decent settings.

And I don't mind to sacrifice a little on specs if I can save a lot. E.g. 2.5 Ghz and 2.4 Ghz's price differs a lot, let's say $500, then i would rather take 2.4ghz

And if someone could explain to me, is a pentium 4 with 3.0 Ghz faster or a Core 2 Quad with 2.2 to 2.4 Ghz faster?

This is what it all takes to getting a good computer is doing the research yourself.

There is two main things.

The first is tomshardware.com

its not as good as it use to be, but they have a lot of reviews on new hardware that comes out. The main thing you do here is the CPU (and maybe the GPU) charts that they have.

What this is, is you can compare different processors and it well tell you which one does a specific task faster. This helps when you are narrowing your search. Is just a couple of seconds faster worth an extra $80. Probably not.

Next, search the internet for reviews. Read reviews on different Graphic cards, and most of them well explain the good and the bad that card has. This is how you get to know which parts are better and which aren't.

The different really is you are BUYING your computer and not building it. But at least when you are buying it, it well make more sense WHAT you are buying.

As far as Vista goes. I don't mind it all, My computer was built knowing that I would put Vista on it. So my computer handles vista fine. Other people put vista on a machine that probably can't handle it as well and thus it runs slow (get at least 2gb of RAM) this is been one of the biggest grips for Vista. It does need a newer computer to run well. If you plan on buying newer games and newer programs from here on out (and not use 3-4 year old programs) then go with Vista!

i would agree with cyle b. at the same time, quad duo id better. it is a quad (4) core processor with a major overclock speed which i do not know off the top of my head. core duo is a (2) core processor. i would go with the quad, but, personally, i don't have 250 bucks plus to hand over to pay for the thing. secondly, you will want to have a lot of ram (for the game you have listed, i think the minimal is like 1 gig). i would go with 2 gig's min. as for polaying multi-player online, i do not know how you are going to connect to the internet, but i suggest having a faster speed lan connection or wi-fi connection. whichever you prefer. i would go with the integrated LAN becaus it is a lot cheaper. things like power supply, if you are building this yourself, you will want to have enough to be able to power everything in your computer, and, just a little extra juice to be safe. typically, the standard desktop now a days runs about 250 watts, but for you, i think like 500 or maybe even 750 watts. call of duty 4 is compatible with xp i do believe (this is the better operating system) so go with xp pro SP2. this should suite all your needs and save you some here and there. as for vista, all i got to say is they got some bugs to work out. for this system i am describing, it will probably cost anywhere from 1500 bucks already built for you, on up. hope this helps.

Vista isnt slow if you have 2GB or more of ram.(ddr2 ram is pretty cheap nowdays.) It supports directX10 video cards, whereas xp only supports direct X9, there isnt a lot of difference however, I have used both.Core 2 or dual core are both good(use GHZ to compare speeds) Video cards are very important in gaming--get one with 512MB video ram, ddr2 or ddr3. Checkout Cyberpower,Inc. They build good game machines at good prices--I bought my last 2 from them.

to run extreme games like cod4 yer going to need to put alot of money into a computer, you will need to buy a gfx card because cod4 wont run that great off of an integrated gfx card. You should be looking for a processor with a speed around 3ghz if not a little faster if u want to run games smoothly... tbh you should just buy a 360 and a nice tv and save yourself a whole lot of money

Are you looking to build your own or purchase out of the box complete? Building your own will give you the ability to choose your equipment and cost you less.

Ask your friends and relatives who use computers for similar purposes, then go to a computer retailer and ask for suggestions. Unfortunately, very few computer retailers offer hands-on "test drives", so to speak, but, generally speaking, most of today's computers are more than capable of running today's video games.

Source(s): Computer programmer with over 30 years of experience, who tries to get a bit of exercise in-between game play! ;)
  • serpa

a real ordinary gaming computing gadget (i've got been given severe end gaming computing gadget its slightly greater beneficial) Sparkle or MSI Nvidia 560-TI (MSI one is larger yet greater high priced) i5-2500k 8gb of 1600mhz ram (its rather well worth the greater beneficial greenbacks) Asus motherboard with a p67 or p67a chipset so which you will rather set your motherboard to overclock as much as 1600mhz placing for the ram (1600mhz ram is in basic terms tuned for it, you ought to set it interior the motherboard, and asus motherboards try this in basic terms approximately right now for you, all you ought to do is circulate to their graphical bios, progressed settings and ai tuning or something like that and choose reminiscence frequency) A monster finding case purely for kicks and a six hundred watt CPU or greater beneficial. undesirable motherboards recommend undesirable overall performance, low digital reminiscence skill slowness, undergo in innovations this. additionally in case you nevertheless have greater funds mendacity around get one in all them SSDs, i could propose finding at benchmarks to be attentive to which kind of ssd you are able to desire to get, presently OCZ and Corsair are tremendously effective, in basic terms make particular its a sata 3 ssd. What i did no longer point out is troublesome drives, for storage and for installation video games on it (in case you employ a SSD you decide on for to apply that purely for classes and your domicile windows, video games installation on yet another troublesome rigidity and you decide on for yet yet another 2tb troublesome rigidity to keep archives, for perfect overall performance, while paying for HDDs save an eye fixed on the RPM, as decrease rpm skill slower HDD, and that's often the case with 2tb troublesome drives.)

well if you want a serious gaming computer i suggest personally alienware and just in case you don't know what alienware is heres a link

http://www.alienware.com/Product_Pages/desktop_all...