Are all straight men slobs?

My husband is such a slob, he makes more messes than my 2 year old! He never even throws away his trash, puts his laundry in the hamper, or dishes in the sink! I am a stay-at-home mom, so yes, I expect to do most of the work around the house, but when he cant even bother to flush the toilet, it really starts to get to me. I've talked to him about it, but he always says "Stop nagging me, it's your job to clean the house!" Is this normal? Should I expect him to help just a little more, or are all guys this messy, and I should just learn to deal? I truly don't know, because he's the only guy I've lived with. Thanks!

• Paul

No, not all straight men are slobs. It all depends on the guy. I'm gay, so I can't use myself as an example for this one, but I grew up with a stay-at-home dad who did most of the cleaning while I was growing up. He did the dishes, the dusting, usually 2 loads of laundry a day, the vacuuming, the cooking if mom wasn't home, etc... My dad is a pretty organized guy.

As a stay-at-home mom you have the tough tasks of caring for a child, keeping the house clean, and juggling those two endless chores while trying to find time for yourself. If I were in your spot, I would expect him to help out more. He should definitely be cleaning up after himself, and you shouldn't even have to ask. He should leave no trash lying around, and he should be flusing the toilet. It sounds like he has no sense of personal responsibility.

• Dimari

No. All men are not like that. My isn't. He is as neat and clean as I am, which is very. As long as you keep picking up after him he will keep doing what he is doing. If he runs out of clothes to wear he'll learn where the laundry basket is. If the dirty dishes he ate from are still where he left them and there isn't any plates for his meal.. so be it...I wouldn't say another word to him about it..(except that toilet thing.. that's just gross.. I'd be on him all the time about that.. he thinks nagging.. show him nagging.) but I'd stop doing everything for him like I was his mommy. You are his wife, not his mom. The sooner he learns that the happier you both will be. And just because you are a stay at home mom does not mean you are his slave. He is not showing you any respect and that can go both ways!

Tell your husband this is the 21st century, not the medieval times. Nowadays, BOTH spouses are equal in the work at home. When my fiancee and I move in together, I know I will have responsibilities to man up to. Some men are raised to be taken after, while the others are raised to do the taking care of. Let him know that if he wants to set a good example for your kids, he should at least learn how to flush the toilet.

Props to you for keeping up with him. My fiancee would leave me if I put my clothes on the ground.

GOOD LUCK.

I could not generalize, however my first-rate pal is a homosexual man and he is freaking outstanding. Although a lesbian myself, I do not get to spend that a lot time with different lesbians, so I would not recognise. Straight women will also be beautiful cool. As for immediately men... Just in my opinion talking, they have all been dull, with an exception or 2.

Hey

In addition to what the above people said:

1) Slavery was abolished a long time ago - ask him to join the rest of us in the 21st century!!

2) Go on strike!! Do what you have to to keep your baby safe, but stop cleaning up his mess. Hopefully he'll get tired of his filth, or at least is more appreciative of what you do for him.

Good luck!!

me

No they're not. Sorry yours is being such a bum. :( Unfortunately I don't think there's anything you can do to make him help. Just do what you can, ask him nicely every once in a while if you're overwhelmed but you can't really change a person by nagging them. :( Not saying that's what you're doing in any way, just a caution against it.

• Imadad

no, only the ones that think the mom wife is suppose to do it for them, he must of been really spoiled by his mom... and most of these guys don't change, they have to deal with certain areas of maturity that they usually don't want to deal with, so chances are your manchild will stay the same since he thinks asking is nagging. i guess if you really love the guy you will go on the way it is now and just give in, and be his mommy...sad but true

my husband is a slob too hun, I think its just in their nature, I fuss and talk to him about helping, it does no good! sometimes when I get really tired of it, I stop cleaning up after him, stop doing his laundry, stop cooking, stop other special things if you know what I mean, he straightens up for about a week then goes back to being a slob, so I dont know what to tell you other than I think most straight men are slobs

It is not your "job" to clean up after his ***. U tell that lazy slob to clean up after himself. U have 1 child not 2 so he should be doing his part. This is not normal trust me, he's just pushing you into a sick meaning of submission...

My first husband liked things neat, but he didn't help much. And he thought neat was clean. So he'd clean the bathroom ... which meant picking up the kids dirty clothes ... but uhg ... it was still so dirty.

My wonderful man now .... is very very neat and clean. And so is my Dad.

So, i guess not ALL straight men are messy.

But I do sympathize ... I have two boys! lol