What could be causing our cat to loose hair excessively?? Hair loss started on stomach & progressed to sides.

vet is unsure right now...said that it could've had something to do from when she got fixed (over 4 years ago) and the hair loss started late 2007. And the other vet says allergies and that it should've already cleared up at this point. Any idea what could be causing this? Can anybody help me out here? ... show more vet is unsure right now...said that it could've had something to do from when she got fixed (over 4 years ago) and the hair loss started late 2007. And the other vet says allergies and that it should've already cleared up at this point. Any idea what could be causing this? Can anybody help me out here? We hate to keep taking her to the vet and getting a shot and not making any progress...all that is doing is stressing her out...

Thanks for any and all info!!