Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

Is a "wide-eyed" description just for someone with wide eyes, or is there another meaning?

I've read that a person is "wide eyed," is there another meaning for that description?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Aron R
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

This expression is a US (and perhaps beyond) idiom. It means to look at something intensely - in wonder, as a child might, or in fright or excitement:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/wide-eyed

The idea behind this expression is that one has fixated one's gaze on something, with eyes wide, wide open, barely even blinking, because it is so remarkable, interesting, or scary. If you were to see an actual UFO landing in front of you, for instance, you might be "wide-eyed."

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 4 years ago

Being raised Roman Catholic but going to public school and seeing other options and opinions in the world I too have my eyes opened. What I once thought was the "only religion and way" has me thinking twice. Now I believe God judges hearts, not man-made social dogma and opinion. So yes I would definitely thank others for opening my eyes and making me see a further truth out there (that I'm still searching). = ) Awesome question.

• papaw
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Two possible other meanings, and they're almost opposite:

1) Wild-eyed - naive, gullible, in awe, amazed at what's going on

2) Wide-eyed: well-informed, knowledgeable, aware of what's going on

• 1 decade ago

Sometimes it means a person has enthusiasm, or anticipation. It depends on the context.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It could mean that the person is shocked, or excited. Like when you see something amazing and your eyes get huge, like saucers.

=]

• aida
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

It suggests that the person is innocent and naive.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.