Athiests, If you we were told you could believe in God WITHOUT the organized religion, would it make a diff?

I am a christian and trust me, I've been to many fanatical churches that only preached fire, hell, and brimstone, and even being a christian, I was turned off to my faith. I'm just curious if you were just to look at God and not what people have made Him out to be, as just this angry, punishing being, if... show more I am a christian and trust me, I've been to many fanatical churches that only preached fire, hell, and brimstone, and even being a christian, I was turned off to my faith.
I'm just curious if you were just to look at God and not what people have made Him out to be, as just this angry, punishing being, if it would change your view of Him?
Update: It looks like the majority of you need proof that God does exist. What kind of proof would it have to be? I honestly think that God could suddenly appear in the sky and say "it's me, God" and people would still choose not to believe. It all comes down to a matter of wanting to or not I guess. Could... show more It looks like the majority of you need proof that God does exist. What kind of proof would it have to be? I honestly think that God could suddenly appear in the sky and say "it's me, God" and people would still choose not to believe. It all comes down to a matter of wanting to or not I guess. Could you prove to me your name for instance? Sure you could show me a birth certificate. Well, why is it any less that I can show you the Bible as proof. The Bible by the way is also a great history book. Nothing in it has ever been shown to be innacurate.
I do respect all of your honest answers (some of you aho aren't just trying to be mean) I also want to say I'm not trying to push anything on you. It's just cool to hear where you're coming from.