Fashion Challenged I guess... -_-?

This is completely not my area of expertise so I guess my question is how should I dress for a really "special" day. I usually don't care about what to wear because it's not important, but in this particular case it is and I want to look nice and uh... "appealing" but not slutty... show more This is completely not my area of expertise so I guess my question is how should I dress for a really "special" day. I usually don't care about what to wear because it's not important, but in this particular case it is and I want to look nice and uh... "appealing" but not slutty appealing.

Of course there's always a "he".. He will not be expecting me to be all dressed up and what not. I don't want to go over the top, but I want to step it up a notch from my usual attire which is:

Jeans, a hoodie and my comfy vans sneakers.OH YEAH, I can't figure the ridiculously oversized sunglasses. Never in any make up although I own some I just don't ever wear it.

Anyways, suggestions would be appreciated.