How to handle relationships at work?

How do you handle a difficult work-place where co-workers are all too ready to drop you in it. Such a clicky work-place and handling that is a job in itself.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best answer

when you start in a new place the first person to introduce themselves will be your enemy or adversary. where I'm from in the north of Ireland that's usually somebody trying to find out which foot i kick with, am i one of theirs or one of "them". my work enemy who i detest is the same as me but if the balloon went up I'd be in like a shot legs and arms flailing backing him up. so keep your head down dont take sides or listen to gossip . remember a gossiper will talk about you behind your back no sooner than gossiping about somebody else to you. but keep a nasty head on at all times, keep it simmering in the background. the bottom line is work is life! you dont work you and your kids go without. thats hardly fair when you work your socks off and some snitch ars'elick gets your position that you deserve. they drop you in it you drop them right back in right up to the neck.

Source(s): been there done it. 20 years working on sites i got the chance of being chargehand, this unskilled ars'elick snitch alky 2 years on the job seen me as a threat gained the managing directors confidence and undermined me everychance he got. i'm still a temp with no prospects but he's on the Health and safety executives red flag log book. i wonder why? hmmm. lets take a minute to ponder on that.
  • 1 decade ago

Well here is my advice. I am dating a co worker. How I do it is that I ignore comments that people say first of all and I try not to make it change my work habits. I don't try to go on break at the same time or ask to leave at the same time and I never call in the same day he does or when he's off. You can make it work you just got to know the way to deal with it and handle it. I have done it for what will be a year on the 15th and we still work together!

• Wendy
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Get some more life experience dating people closer to your age. You have your own interests which will be very different than those of a man ten years older than you and it would be better to decide who you are before dating someone who has lived more than 50% longer than you. Age differences are huge at first and become a smaller deal as you get older. This is mostly because the older you get the more independent and self-identified you become so that you don't identify yourself by being the older guy's girl. This doesn't happen in relationships with closer ages (or most of the time it doesnt) because you don't find yourself deferring to the older individual's experience and knowledge all the time.

• 1 decade ago

Work relationships are worse than any other type of relationship - they are complex! Think about it - these are people you did not choose to be around, you have to spend most of your waking hours with (more than family and friends), and have to collaborate under crunch deadlines and strange bureaucracies and politics... Very weird indeed. Maybe just being more aware about how "manufactured" the relations are in the first place could shed some light on the dynamics.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • I guess you could be everyones "best friend"... always nod or agree without really saying anything whenever they talk about other co-workers or talk behind eachothers backs... and just do that with everyone - that way everyone thinks you're cool with them and really you're just neutral. This way you'll be less likely to become a victim of their immaturity.

• 1 decade ago

Same at my workplace and theres no easy way around it, you just have to watch your back. You need to suss out if the boss is on the side of the ones more likely to try to get you into trouble etc, more often than not, they are, because are too scared to act against them etc.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I suppose the easiest way would be try to remain as neutral as possible .. did I say easiest lol? Every work place has it's difficulties just try not to offend anyone until you feel secure in your position. Sorry thats not too helpful is it

• 1 decade ago

just concentrate on your work and try not to let it get to you. I know that is hard. It might also be useful to let your boss know how you feel.

• 1 decade ago

watch NBC's The Office and find out how.rofl

• 1 decade ago

Be true to yourself....and, in the long run, it will show.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.