Why make any real arguments against evolution when it's easier to knock down strawmen?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

Because it's easier to set fire to straw men than it is to char related fossilized remnants that show the progression of an evolutionary branch. Mmmmm, remnants.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 decade ago

I'm not sure they realize they're knocking down strawmen. I think they might honestly believe that evolution teaches that we evolved from monkeys and the one day one of them just gave birth to a human baby - or to something halfway between a human and a monkey.

And it's not even the uneducated. Jeez, half of the American senate is this ignorant. There are Harvard and Yale graduates that believe this nonsense. Horrifying.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Are you for or against biological evolution? The "strawman" argument is usually used by anti-evolutionaries. eg: "humans are decended from monkeys".

• 1 decade ago

Good question. I'm all for knocking down straw men, but as to setting them alight, I have to draw the line somewhere. It might be all well and good for those of you with excess carbon credits to go setting things alight, willy nilly, but some of us don't have that luxury.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Why bother with real arguments when you believe monkeys suddenly turned into people overnight... and crocodiles into ducks. Where's the fossilized coroduck I ask you?

*shrug*

• 1 decade ago

I have a simple plan for disproving it. First, don't actually learn about it from any credible source. Second, question the validity of the theory (that I assume I understand based on my assumption and what unqualified sources have told me). Third, publicly challenge the theory -- if anyone agrees with me assume that they are unbiased and intelligent, if anyone disagrees, assume they have been deceived by the media, their pride, and Satan.

[edit] And of course it helps if you can misquote scientists from the 1970s.

• 1 decade ago

No sense really, people who believe evolution are basing their beliefs on a false assumption with no real proof.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I don't know about evolution, I only preach the love of the noodly appendages of the FSM.

Source(s): Arrrrrgh.
  • 1 decade ago

Strawman: Was that the movie where Nicholas Cage gets set on fire by the wiccans?

• Fred
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

When your only tool is fear of everlasting fire, all of your arguments involve straw men.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.