Why make any real arguments against evolution when it's easier to knock down strawmen?

Because it's easier to set fire to straw men than it is to char related fossilized remnants that show the progression of an evolutionary branch. Mmmmm, remnants.

I'm not sure they realize they're knocking down strawmen. I think they might honestly believe that evolution teaches that we evolved from monkeys and the one day one of them just gave birth to a human baby - or to something halfway between a human and a monkey.

And it's not even the uneducated. Jeez, half of the American senate is this ignorant. There are Harvard and Yale graduates that believe this nonsense. Horrifying.

Are you for or against biological evolution? The "strawman" argument is usually used by anti-evolutionaries. eg: "humans are decended from monkeys".

Good question. I'm all for knocking down straw men, but as to setting them alight, I have to draw the line somewhere. It might be all well and good for those of you with excess carbon credits to go setting things alight, willy nilly, but some of us don't have that luxury.

Why bother with real arguments when you believe monkeys suddenly turned into people overnight... and crocodiles into ducks. Where's the fossilized coroduck I ask you?

*shrug*

I have a simple plan for disproving it. First, don't actually learn about it from any credible source. Second, question the validity of the theory (that I assume I understand based on my assumption and what unqualified sources have told me). Third, publicly challenge the theory -- if anyone agrees with me assume that they are unbiased and intelligent, if anyone disagrees, assume they have been deceived by the media, their pride, and Satan.

[edit] And of course it helps if you can misquote scientists from the 1970s.

No sense really, people who believe evolution are basing their beliefs on a false assumption with no real proof.

I don't know about evolution, I only preach the love of the noodly appendages of the FSM.

Source(s): Arrrrrgh.

Strawman: Was that the movie where Nicholas Cage gets set on fire by the wiccans?

• Fred

When your only tool is fear of everlasting fire, all of your arguments involve straw men.