Am I A Control Freak?

I am a college student living in the college dormitory. I havent had a roommate the entire fall semester. Its spring semester and i just recently I got a new roommate. I am a nice person and arranged the room to accommodate my new roommate. After meeting and getting to know each other I basically told him the "rules" of the room like locking the door at all times or keeping the noise to a minimal. However, one of my biggest pet peeves is someone touching my belongings without my permission. Upfront I told him about it and requested that he ask before he use/take something of mine whether its to use my microwave/fridge or just to borrow a pencil. Am i a control freak?

Favorite Answer

well i think there is a line that you have to draw. i freak out if my roommate borrows my pencil without asking, but things like the iron, or microwave or vaccuum were hard for me to share at first without being asked, but I realized that they were things my roommate absolutely NEEDED to use. Sure you NEED a pencil sometimes... . because it is on YOUR desk i would want him to ask, normal household common items, i would lay off about. I am not sure how to get across to him what he needs to ask for and what he doesn't. But I do think you are flirtin with the line of being a control freak, and not being one. My roommate used to ask if she could use anything, and the things I wanted her to ask for I would answer "yes" and then things like the vaccuum I would say "yeah, you don't have to ask about that." Good luck!

• ?

Am I A Control Freak

• Ruthie

I wouldn't say you are, though it is common courtesy to not touch someone else's belongings. My roommate and I never had to discuss that, it was understood. If there was only one of it in the room though (she brought a tv and microwave I brought the fridge) we shared, (we did talk about that she laughed when I kept asking if I could watch her tv) which meant we didn't have to ask to use it every single time. That's just silly. But if it was something more personal like my computer then yeah permission needs to be asked.

Don't get really angry though, and cause problems if he forgets to lock the door or gets a little too noisy at times. It happens even when you're not in college. Just respectfully and privately remind him.

You might want to incorporate some of the things he uses into your rules. Maybe have him clean the microwave after he uses it. I wouldn't want anyone messing with my stuff either, but some things have to be considered communal. If he has to go out and get his own fridge and microwave, your room will be jam packed in no time. I remember dorm rooms, aka glorified closets. There just isn't enough room in them to have two of everything, and it will get real old for your room mate if he has to track you down anytime he wants to breath. I guess what I'm saying, is that your not a total control freak, but you need to be a bit more flexible than you are now.

No. Control FREAKS set up a hidden camera to tape the room when they're not there, and think up horrible punishments for those who break the rules.

Setting some boundaries isn't only normal, I reckon your new roommate will expect you to. Don't be surprised if he sets up some of his own.

I don't know. If i don't pick up after myself right away are you going to throw a fit?

i have a friend comming over, are you going to read them the rules?

i have homework to do, am i reading too loudly?

a little bit.

people shouldnt use others things without permission, but its not something to get all worked up about.

No! You're just sounding like you are getting old before your time.

• if its a pencil? yes.

but laying groundrules isnt that bad

No, you are not, you seem to be cautious. I dont like it when people touch my things.