How much does the opinion of others play into what you believe or don't believe?

I debated religion with my mother for a few minutes over the weekend (bad idea--won't be doing that again). Her strongest argument was that her father (my grandfather, of course) believes in God. Now, he is one of the most intelligent, knowledgeable, logical, and rationally thinking people I have ever known. ... show more I debated religion with my mother for a few minutes over the weekend (bad idea--won't be doing that again). Her strongest argument was that her father (my grandfather, of course) believes in God. Now, he is one of the most intelligent, knowledgeable, logical, and rationally thinking people I have ever known. So, my mother said she takes comfort in knowing that he believes in God, and if he does, then it must be correct.

For me this argument is pretty decent, because my grandfather really is brilliant and (usually) rational.

But just because someone I think is credible believes in God, that doesn't mean I shouldn't do my own research and come to my own conclusions.

What about you? Who influences you?
Update: (And for the record, I don't even know if my grandfather believes in God. She thinks he does but it wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't and just keeps quiet about it.)
Update 2: (((Jon M))) hehe excellent answer. And I do love me some broccoli.