Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 decade ago

Leaving the country before sentenced at Crown Court?

I hope I don't get any nasty answers as I know I've done wrong!

I was charged with 13 charges of fraud and was in Magistrates court already. Total value of the fraud is about £15,000. The Magistrates send me to Crown Court for sentencing.

I've been told a custodiol sentence is a possibility.

My question now is, if I was to leave the UK and never to come back, what would happen? Will the police come and look for me?

Thank you for the comments. It would be easy not to come back to the UK as I'm not English, I'm Belgian!

I've decided, like many people say on here, that I will face the music as I'm sick and tired of this whole situation and I want to stop worrying.

I have never been in contact with the law before, just scared of going to prison!! Should have thought of that earlier!!

My advise to people!!! Don't let gambling control your life as it can make you do very out of character things!!!

They prob won't come looking for you as it is not a "major" crime. But you will be running for ever and always looking over your shoulder.

Take your punishment and then later put it behind you.

They can track you through interpol. Unless you live in a country that doesn't have a deportation agreement with the UK, you will never be safe and always looking over your shoulder. What a life? Better to go back, give yourself up and face the music like a man. The court is more likely to show you some consideration if you hand yourself in.

Once you have done your time its over with. If you run away you will have to run forever and lose your whole freedom. Thats worse than copping a life sentence and you won't get that for what you are charged with.

They will issue a warrant for failing to appear at court. You will then get done for that and the Fraud when caught. If you leave the country you will want to come back sometime.

You may not necessarily get a custodial sentence. Get some decent character witnesses, write a statement to be read out at court about how sorry you are and foolish it was, point out some of your good points.

Face the music, don't run away it never solves anything. My son went to Crown Court for sentencing on an assault charge (idiocy of drink) and didn't get sent down. Got a HUGE fine though.

Good luck babe

• jamand

It's easy to say you'll never come back - but most on the run do and when you come back they'll be waiting for you.

They may also have already flagged you up as a possible runaway - in which case they'll be looking for you at the ports and airports.

They could also get the police in other countries to find you - unlikely, but possible - and if they do find you and bring you back - your sentence will be even greater.

You've done wrong - take it like a man and accept your punishment - living the life of continually looking over your shoulder is no life.

I agree with you that you have every right to be worried about your daughter and her safety. But, "Sexual Assault of a minor non-penetration" could be an old girlfriend, who parents caught in the act or something. How long has this couple been together? A few years? Months? A lot of states the age of consent is 16. But if a male who is 18 is dating a 15 year old(I don't agree with the age difference, before I get ripped to shreds), and they have sexual relations (not necessarily sex), and a parent finds out, they can press charges and get on the sex offenders list. There are cases pending right now where the adult is being charged, even after marrying the child after turning 18. Some even have kids of their own now, etc. So it's not always scum of the planet. It can happen where 2 people fall in love, and someone disagrees with it. Its hard to explain though. But you are right in wanting to protect your daughter, and are right about your neighbor being trash.

plain and simple answer,fraud carries a minimum sentence of 2 years in the UK, if you run all that will happen is that an arrest war rent will be issued ,when its found that you have left the country then your details are recorded at all points of entry to the UK and you will be arrested if you ever return,for £15k there is not going to be a world wide manhunt,you will of course have more charges to face if and when you return ,if this is your first offence then you may get a suspended sentance,the reason you were told that this type of offence may result in a prison sentance is because by law you have to be informed that this may be the case but not that its set in stone, no-one is going to judge you on here,its your choice

They have referred you to Crown Court for sentencing because the Magistrates can only dish out minimal sentences but a Crown Court can dish out far longer sentences and the fact they've done this would indicate you're looking at a sentence greater than 3 years.

Good luck on the run.

• Marla

I dont agree with doing a runner but thats your decision....

What would happen..? It would depend on what country you went to and whether they have a extradition agreement with that country...

understand tho that if you do leave and decide years later that you want to return...and the law catch up with you it might be worse...Bare in mind that 15k is not that big an amount in fraud terms ..you may get community work or just have to pay it back.... Good luck ..

It depends where you go. If you go to an extradition treaty country then you'll most likely get extradited back to the UK for your sentence. They won't look too kindly on you skipping the country either so the sentence they give you will be more severe.

So don't do the crime if you are not willing to do the time. Your details will be on the European data base - so you might get nicked in due course - obviously I hope you do get arrested and then the possibility of a custodial will be a definite!

But at least the tax payer does not have to pay for you and it will be one less criminal in the UK..

Sod off and travel far away!