Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

My dog is ball obsessed with balls!!!!!!!!!!!?

My dog is completely obsessed with balls. He won't leave you alone when he has them, just toucher's you until you throw it. And if I take them away, he just finds something else for you to throw. Now that I think about it, it is obsessed with FETCH.

What can I do? It is very annoying, because he just sits there and whines until you throw it. I have tried ignoring him, taking the toy away, but when I take a toy away, he just brings a different one. How do I break him of this terrible habbit? I don't understand what I did to make him this way, it is really bothering me.

BTW, he is a two year old Rat Terrier.

That is the thing. I do play fetch with him, EVERY DAY OF HIS LIFE!!!!!!! I live across from a GIANT park, I take him there everyday with one of those ball fliers for at least 30+ minutes a day. He gets all gross and nasty and I bath him every day. I don't care, because yes, he needs exercise, otherwise he would be a fat lazy dog, not what I want. WHAT I am talking about is in the house. He doesn't leave anyone alone. He puts the ball on you and wants you to throw it constantly, and when you can't he whines and doesn't stop. And when I take it away, he just brings something else. It is getting so bad that he is bringing paper if he can't find anything else! He does this to company as SOON as they walk in the door too. And at first it is cute, but after a while, you just want him to stop. THAT is what I need help with.

Favorite Answer

my dog is a pug and he is the EXACT SAME WAY!!! it gets sooo annoyinnnggg! >:(

starring this, i hope you find some help for it! caus ei sure need some!!!

• Amanda

OMG! The behaviors I would be able to teach this dog by just using a ball would be amazing. Use 2 balls, she'll drop 1 ball for the other. Use the ball for to your advantage. I also have a ball crazy dog, I taught him Utility level obedience hand signals with just the ball, besides waits, lefts, rights, go-on's a recalls and many other behaviors. I'd also play a good game a tug as a reward. For the record, the only way you will learn about how to train dogs is not by being in dog training school, it will be by being becoming a member of your local dog obedience training club, where you will learn to train your dog, earn a title on your dog, at least a CD, then apprentice or assist an instructor when teaching class. The instructors that I know, that have their own training facility or train at many different places, have handled mulitple dogs to very high level of obedience & agility. Not one went to school for it.

If you have cable, watch the Dog Whisperer, he covers this type of thing quite often. Basically what you do is get the "excited" mind to a relaxed state. Take the ball away from the dog and make it sit. When it wants to jump and chase the ball, tap it on the chest to break concentration. As it tries to get excited again, tap it and make it wait. You need to get it into a relaxed state.

Dogs are pack animals and will act as such. You cannot humanize a dog. You must become a "dog" and be the leader of the pack. You don't need to abuse or beat the dog to make it work. But YOU must show that YOU are the leader. Every member of the home must be the leader. The dog has to be the lowest member of the pack. Its feelings WON'T be hurt. It will just accept its role in the pack. Other things to do is NEVER let the dog lead you on a walk. When walking a dog, YOU go out the door first, the dog follows. The ball is YOUR ball, he only gets to chase it when YOU say.

Get him more exercise- find him a job, do obedience, agility, flyball, etc. You have a dog that has a ton of energy, and you have to find a way to release it. If you aren't willing to play fetch with him, then find something you are willing to do with him. You're lucky that he has found this outlet- because normally a bored dog is a destructive dog- your dog is bored!

Terriers are used to digging out vermin from grain storage after being used as mousers for hundreds of years in this manner. Playing fetch is something of a similar activity, in that it catches something for you and presents it to you. Sorry, but you can't break a dog from wanting to play; you canonly hope to tire it out.

are you giving him enough attention? try walking him more(like 2 walks a day at least a half hour long each), and playing with him every day. when dogs get enough excercise, they tend not to "obsess" so much.

Ok this is what I did...You spray either vinegar or Lemon juice on the balls!This worked for my dog.It has no harm on their health.

Source(s): Same problem with mine.
  • ANTM

just say "NO" firmly, take all the toys away so he wont bring you another and ignore him. when he stops whining reward him with a toy. By lab is just like that its soooo annoying! but I just firmly tell him no, put the toy away and ignore him. it takes a while but you have to be persistant and dont give in to his whining for attention.

Make him be entertained in another way. You could also take all of his toys and put them in a basket up high so that he couldnt get to them and then once a day get one down for him to pay with. I would make him less and less interested in them.

terriers are like that...obsessive to a fault