Anyone use powder formula?

I usually use liquid Enfamil milk with Lipil. However, a lot of my friends recommend power formula. What do you guys think? and how do I maintain the water? cool boil water? Because when I use liquid, at night, I have my bottle warmer. But now I'm thinking of switching to powder, so I wonder what should I do? I don't want the water too hot or too cold. I like it cool. Please help me

• Franky

I used powdered formula (it lasts a while, as opposed to liquid)... and what I did was fill up a water jug (one of the big ones) either at the store or with tap water, and I would leave it out on the counter so it was room temp... at night, I would pour the water into the bottles and then take those into my sons room; that way, when he woke up, the bottles were right next to him, and all I had to do was put the powder in and shake it. It was already a good temperature, no need to heat or cool it.

I used liquid with my first child and it was so much more of a hassle. With my second and third, I used powder and it was a blessing. Both my second and third children liked their milk room temperature (which is also a blessing, IMO) so I just bought the nursery water and left it on the counter. When he was ready for a bottle I would mix it. This came in really handy when we were out somewhere and didn't have access to a refrigerator or cooler to keep the milk. They even make little containers that you use to pre-measure the powder. When you are ready to mix you just empty one compartment into a bottle of premeasured water. Very convenient.

Also, I used the VentAire bottles to keep the bubbles down. There seems to be more bubbles with the powder because you have to shake it to mix it. The VentAire bottles prevented this problem.

I use the powdered Enfamil A.R. because my son has a problem with spit up. The powder is good for me because it lasts way longer than the liquid form. It takes a little more work, yes, but it's worth saving the money.

I boil the water for a good 5 minutes and then let it cool to mix my formula. I make the entire days' worth of bottles in one sitting and refrigerate until I'm ready to use them. I warm my son's bottles in the microwave, but you should still be able to use the bottle warmer with no problem.

I think your choice should be to do whatever is more convenient for you and your child.

My little on is on powder. If you have city water that has been purified you should not need to boil it. If you have some other source such as well-water, etc. yes boil it. What I do is I turn on the faucet in the kitchen and get the water warm and fill her bottle. It is the same as warming the water in a bottle warmer. There's nothing wrong with powder formula. Just follow the instructions on the can. :D

I breastfed for the first 3 1/2 months and after that I figured she was old enough to have tap water, and I put a purifier on it for a little extra protection and I just turn the water to whatever temp I want, when I go out and about I just fill up a water bottle with hot water from our sink and by the time she needs a bottle it's still slightly warm and I know the water is good.

If you decide to do it that way be sure to check and make sure your tap water is safe, although you'd probably already know by now if you purify it for yourselves or not.

I have used powdered formula since i quit breastfeeding and i use Nursery Water as the liquid. If u get your baby used to room temperature bottles then u wont have to worry about bottle warmers and all that. I have only heated bottles that i used to prepare and keep in the frig for night time feedings. But even then, only knocked the cool off of them to about room temp. I have never gotten him used to heated formula and it works out well for me.

During the night, I fill a couple bottles up with the right amt of Nursery water and keep them on my nightstand along with the powdered formula. When he wakes, its right there for me and all I have to do is prepare them and I dont even have to get up. Thats important to me because if I get up, I cant go right back to sleep, causing me to be tired at work.

In your case, if u r heating your bottles, put the nursery water in the bottle warmer and do like i did. Dont prepare it until u r ready to use it. They recommend not to feed it them after an hour, so u dont want to waste it. To me, powder is much easier than canned formula.

Good luck and congrats.

i used the enfamil powder with lipil (in the yellow can) and loved it. i never had any problems with clumping or anything. we then had to switch to the enfamil gentlease with lipil and that was a little harder to get all the little clumps out, but i still really liked it as opposed to the pre-mix. just buy the gallon of nursery water and leave it out on the counter so that it's room temperature. it should be just right then...hope this helps some.

Yeah, powder formula here.

What I did was clean and sterilise a baby bottle and placed boiled water into it and the bottle into the fridge. It was quite a big bottle and, in fact, I had 2 of them. Then I would boil a kettle and mix the chilled water and the boiled water together in the bottle I was going to feed from until it was the right temp and then add the powder. I would add boiled water to the fridge water at the same time. I washed an sterilised the fridge bottles daily.

Is your baby under 6 months? I assume so.

• sali s

I used nursery water for the first few months and kept it in the fridge. When I needed a bottle I would just warm it in a hot glass of water. After a few months my pediatrician said I could use plain tap water and I kept it in gallon milk jugs until I made bottles. I would usually make 8 bottles at a time as they will last already made in the fridge for 2 days. I would (i hate to admit)then warm them in the microwave-only a few seconds depending on how much formula was in the bottle. Then, shake or stir well, test, and give it to baby. If you don't want to pre-make your bottles, just fill with water and formula when needed, shake and feed to your baby.

I used powered formula and just bought a gallon of nursery water at the store to mix it with. Just heat up the water in the bottle warmer and then add the powder and shake it up.