is flying safer than driving?

y do most ppl say it's safer. when a plane crashes, most everyone dies. at least when u crash in a car, u have more ways/means/likely, chances of surviving.

i'd rather be in a car crash than a plane crash any day.

what do u think?

• Carl

That is a tricky question and the answer depends on how you look at the statistics. If you compare commercial airline flights to driving on a "mile to mile" bases, commercial airlines have vastly lower rate of fatal accidents, but a roughly equal number of fatalities. Commercial airline flight will have a much higher fatality rate per accident. Noncommercial airline flights seem to be much more dangerous than driving.

It really depends on how you look at the statistics. I think it was Mark Twain who said there were 3 types of lies: "Lies, damn lies and statistics." I think you need to look at the statistics and reach your own conclusions, but I wouldn't be afraid to fly or drive.

I say a car is more dangerous because there are more chances of you getting an accident than your plane crashing and everyone dying I mean really if you compare the car accidents yearly to those of airplanes chances are that an airplane would be voted safer especially since the people are professionals unlike drivers who are sometimes people who have just recieved they're DL.

There aren't nearly as many plane crashes are there are car crashes. Planes crash less than 1 percent of the time that they fly. There are so many car crashes every second. Some may not be as bad, but they far outweigh the number of people that die from plane crashes.

Source(s): I saw something about that on the news or 20/20 the other day.

chances of crashes in a car are higher, because more people drive on the ground. it would be the same probablity if there were as many airplanes in the sky as cars on the ground.

:)

but i think if everyone had flying cars......then that will raise a new issue for transportation. just thinking about a possible future ahead.

in a plane you might have time to escape and parachute off the plane. its different when in a car,.........you only have 1/2 a second.

Statistically planes are much safer. Crashes per mile or per trip much lower. And many times people do survive - a 777 crashed in London last week, no fatalities.

BUT - - in a plane, you have no control over your fate. If you are a very safe driver and wear your seatbelt, you can have significant effect over the odds of injury or death in a car. In a plane, you have no control.

The odds of being in a accident in a car is greater then bing in a plane crash.

Look at all the cars around you; waving in and out, but when you fly there is a great distance between you and the nearest aircraft.

In the US, there are about 40,000 deaths per year in automobile accidents and only 200 per year in aircraft.

Airplanes crash less often, and even when they crash they aren't necessarialy fatal.

Here are the stats on different modes of transportation:

Trains have .04 deaths for every 100 million miles while air travel has .01 deaths for every 100 million miles traveled. Compared to the automobile, with .94 deaths per 100 million miles, both figures are low

And if you are sitting in the back of the plane its safer yet. So I say get coach and enjoy!

I agree with you,driving is better than flying,cuz like you said,when a plane crashes everyone dies,but when a car crashes maybe you die maybe not .

I'm with you. If you crash your car, you may get injured or, possibly, die. If you all the engines stopped working on a plane, theres no where to go except down. I'd take the car over a plane any day.

It is safer to drive than to fly. I and a many many friends I know have never been in a auto accident. im 47 my friends close to that age.ive been driving since 16.but if I had of taken that plane trip from france recently the airbus disaster I wouldn't be here to write this comment. all over 300 died. perished. bodies unrecognisable. if you look at the stats on car accidents most of them are avoidable. either they were speeding to show off,drunk driving,passing cars to get home quicker. these are faults of humanity not the faults of auto craftsmanship. if you drive every day like I do and your not a nervous old woman behind the wheel shaking,if you stay in one lane most of the time and watch you're speed,if you dotn drink and drive or drive careless to show off you're friends you will have a much better survival chance. and when there is an auto accident maybe 1 or 2 people will die. I live in Canada and since 2015 to march I havnt heard of any devastating auto accidents but I have heard of plane crashes,several of them. 1 crash happened just days before over 300 died in the sirbus trajedy,bodies charred unrecogniseable.the plane crash in asia where the plane flew sideways over the highway and crashed into the water.all I hear about is this plane going down that plane going down. remember 1972 the andes crash. the entire rugby team crashed in the andes for over 70 days without food. they had to resort to cannibalism to survive. 28 died,16 survived.they hit a mountain. now flying to areas are the only option where you may have to cross oceans of water. many people who board feel its the safest way to travel. but when that plane starts to shake and rattle everyone becomes afraid.why? because they know they know have no control over their destiny. and in most cases they die.last year we have many plane accidents.now for argument say lets say 1 plane went down within a 3 month time period and 10 cars accidents occurred. 1 plane you are looking at about 300 casualties 10 car accidents maybe 10 to 20 casualties perhaps a little more. more people die in plane accidents than auto