Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 1 decade ago

Do you agree that Eastern European immigrants have driven down Wages?

They come here and work for peanuts because compared to their own countries our wages are good to them. They earn a bundle in thier terms then go back home! How can this be good for the UK economy?

My husbands company have now began only hiring polish people because they work any hours they are asked to and for a pitiful wage - they say anyone they interview from here is too under qualified. They are a family owned company and somehow, don't ask me how, get away with it. I don't think we should blame the immigrants though, they are only trying to make a better life for themselves, it is our pathetic govt that are in desperate need of a good kick up the backside.

Do you know they immigrants claim child benefit for their children who have never set foot in britain - plus they can claim back taxes. Also their car insurance covers them to drive over here but if you try to make a claim you can't you would end up paying a fortune in legal fees to get the insurance company to pay up (this happened to a friend of mine who got hit by a polish driver). You are better just paying for your own car to be fixed.

I think it is terrible for the UK economy but it is our govt who are to blame - they are all jumped up pillocks who are too busy sucking on marbles to join the real world!! Also - sure our govt don't even have a clue how many immigrant are here coz they're too damn lazy to keep tabs on things. I can honestly say i am ashamed to be british because of the way the country is run.

Theoretically,the Wages are driven by the employees qualifications for a specific job requirement.Less requirements,usually less education is needed and less pay is offered.

Simple math here: A Citizen will work for the maximum offered,an Immigrant for the minimum offered.

It's good for the Economy because of what you just said !!!!!

They work for peanuts !!!!!

They more than likely don't speak or read any English. The work they perform are very mechanical and/or manual operated and they don't even need too much education for that !

Unless you are paying any kind of Insurance,like Medical and Dental....your only expenses are the peanuts,right?

Any EU citizen from anywhere in the EU can come and work here in the UK. There are some minor restrictions but on the whole the UK in time honoured manner, has taken full advantage of what is a hard working and willing labour force from Eastern Europe, Poland in particular.

I have worked with some Poles for the last few years and they don't know that they're entitled to a 20 minute break after 6 hours of non-stop work. We have to keep reminding them - "hey - break time - tea-up" etc.

My company is now taking on more work than was ever possible before and no, these Polish workers do not work for peanuts, they're paid the same as everyone else, which in our case is about £5.50 - £6 an hour.

One minor point which is also often over looked - we also employ a number of African workers - all of whom have British Passports and as Commonwealth Citizens [British] can work here in UK. Many of these men were here as students back in the 1970s and have returned to make a better life for their families. Most have bought their own homes outright with their own cash from their various African adventures and enterprises.

One very important point I'd like to make is that the African workers here in UK send quite a lot of their money back home. One friend of mine explained to me that he was sending £40 a month back to his maternal grandmother and as a result she was able to give up work and retire in her 82nd year. Forty quid is a cheap meal in a restaurant here in London, but in Africa it's a living income.

What this actually means is that the aid which we send to Africa may not actually be needed in quite the same way as it possibly is today. The real money will come from the cash being sent home via WESTERN UNION Telegraph Money Transfer etc.

Source(s): GEENWICH 040108.1515GMT

Conservatives complain that illegal immigrants drive down wages because if an employer can hire an illegal for (say) $200, a legal citizen must be willing to work for around that pay or the employer will just hire more illegals. Those same conservatives may love Wal-Mart because the prices are low and they hire a lot of people; if unions come in and demand hire wages and other benefits (not already provided by Wal-Mart) the prices of goods will go up because they now must include the higher overhead.

I'm with Dee88 on this one 100%. People like me work for half the minium wage but the government get around it. Don't ask me how it benefits cos rent goes up due to the Eastern Europeans cramming heaps into a house.People like me have to live in at work cos can't afford to rent a private room on the wages any more unless we work all our waking hours. The only people who benefit from it are the greedy landlords. I've often rang up agencies to do 'immigrant' work but have been knocked back cos they said they only hire the Eastern Europeans.I'M SICK OF IT! I want to work but would be better off unemployed,even thought of quitting work.Yes,on top of it they get their taxes back so don't even contribute,just abuse our services. The thing is it's alot of money to them,they make a bundle then go home,buy houses,education etc-as a Brit we have to work like dogs until we drop these days.

Yes, they are taking jobs that British people could have done and making employment even more insecure (employers no longer bother investing in training, or valuing, their staff when they are easily replaceable with ready trained foreign labour that will work for peanuts).

And to that idiot "Mac" who claims its "good" for wages to be driven down and then boasts he is not a member of the unskilled group well thank your lucky stars because I know what it is like to live on minimum wage.

It is not good when the children of men who work in this area are going without basic necessities such as a warm winter coat and wholesome food because their fathers are not being paid enough to afford such things.

No doubt "Mac" is too up his own backside to understand this though.

That's the free market economy. As a Tory, Boris, I'm sure you'd appreciate that.

A business will always try and minimise costs (wages being the greatest cost) and faced with two people who can do the job one of which is 50% cheaper I know which one I'd employ.

That's not racism (as one answerer seems to think) but simple good sense.

It will be good for the economy as with lower costs companies make more profit and hence pay more tax on it, they can also invest more on expansion hence creating more jobs. Lowereing costs will also help to make them more competitive with the cheap stuff being sent over from China.

The workers, while they're here will pay tax and spend some of their wages, hence keeping other aeas of the ecnomony going.

What's bad for the economy is allowing immigrants in just to scrounge off the state.

It's the employers that are to blame. They will take on immigrant workers because they know they won't have to pay them as much as indigenous workers.

We should not be laying blame on the immigrants whose only wish is to pursue a better life.

It's the fat-cat employers who really benefit. They must shoulder the responsibility for the situation that has arisen with regard to this.

• john k

Thats some what true. Just as the arguement is here in the US, over NAFTA and immigrants. Its welcome to the World of free trade, Capitalism. Its simple economics,You in effect increase labor force size (supply), so the price for labor goes down. Hence lower wages or atleast lower pay hikes as someone else is willing to do the job for less.

Economics isn't a matter of opinions, it's driven by hard data. Until I see some evidence that Polish workers et al are bad for the UK economy I'll have to ignore the Daily Mail-esque hot air, I'm afraid.

• thingy

I doubt if the jobs they are likely to do were ever highly paid. And wages were probably a lot less before the minimum wage came in anyway.