Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 1 decade ago

has anyone else heard that your not supposed to use baby powder?

so yeah,i heard your not supposed to use baby powder anymore on babys cause it gets in there lungs. Has anyone else heard of this?

35 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best answer

Yes....the nurse at the hospital told me this as well as my pediatrician. I think it has been linked to breathing problems and/or asthma. If you feel you must use it...just tap it on to the diaper...very close to the diaper, as not to emit it into the air for baby to inhale.

• 1 decade ago

it's the ingredient 'talc' that's really bad. the fragrances might not be the best either.

using pure cornstarch is an effective, safe, and totally natural way to reverse diaper rash, keep a dry bum and is also pretty cheap. what you want to do is just take some on your fingertips, rub the powder onto your palms and put a thin layer on the toosh after you've wiped it clean. that will dry up any dampness and you will want to make sure there are no clumps of the stuff in any folds of the skin.

of course you want to keep a baby from inhaling powders... everyone should know that already.

but yeah, i have heard about that.

Source(s): my midwife
  • 1 decade ago

Yes, I have heard it over 25 years ago. Baby powder also is not used in hospitals any longer either. The more responsible companies who make baby products has removed the talc and added corn starch, but there is still the danger of inhaling it into the lungs.

• 1 decade ago

It's not that you're not supposed to use it. Just put the powder on the diaper away from the baby and then put the diaper on. Don't put the powder on while the diaper is on the baby cuz the powder cloud that always ends up in the air. This is what the hospital told me anyway.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Yes, I've heard that and I didn't use it on my son. I've also heard that talc is somehow similar to asbestos (I'm not a scientist and don't remember the details of how it's similar). But, yeah, it's bad for the lungs. I just skipped it. Never had any problems due to lack of baby powder either.

• 1 decade ago

Deffinately don't use it. If you do, make sure it is 100% natural.

This is saddly completely true: MOST baby powders contain an ingrediant (I forget what its called, sorry, it goes by several names) that causes reproductive problems. Deffinately try to use something other than conventional powders.

As for getting into their lungs, I'm unsure of this and havn't heard anything about this. My suggestion is if you use powder, be cautious when using it.

• 1 decade ago

Yes, talcum powder. I think the powder bonds or clogs children's airways. And I didn't hear about it causing asthma, I heard it caused crib deaths.

Makes sense though: putting that stuff up a baby's nose is worse than cigarette smoke; it's more solid. Harder to cough out..

Not worth the risk if you ask me.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Check the ingredients. It's talc that does the damage (bad for all of us, not just babies). Some Baby Powder is now corn starch but not all. Some still use talc.

• 1 decade ago

Yes, I was told when I gave birth to not use baby powder on either one of my children. I'm not entirely sure of the reasoning though.

• 1 decade ago

Yes, my baby's pediatrician told me not to use baby powder it will gets in their lungs and may also cause rash in their skin

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If it contains talcum powder, than yes, that is not good. Talcum powder got banned from my job. We used it all the time, but now is banned from all the medical conditions it can cause.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.