Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 decade ago

Domestic violence?

There are my neighbours, they fight all the time, he throws chairs at her, and throws her against the wall, and she screams, and their children scream. One day it was worse than ever, so I called the police. They said that they were coming, and the woman talked to me and kept me on-line. I did not know one must stay on talking, I had to go and dropped her. When I called again later on, I was told that

they did not open the door.

Now the fights and shouts are worse than ever. Can I call them again, or they won't believe me and won't come (I heard that a lot of people come to "joke" or what not)?

My first question, as a police officer would be can you see into their home? if not, how can you be certain thaqt anyone is throwing objects, or harming another? Obviously, the couple is arguing, which is not illeagal. Destroying your own property is also not illegal. Unless the wife is willing to testify to the charge of domestic violence, there will not be a conviction. The wife may also refuse to show up at the hearing, which is an automatic dismissal of said charges.

The police officers cannot just break down their door without cause, which obviously, there was not upon their arrival.

The police will respond to your calls, however, if the couple ever decides to talk with the officers, and claim that everything os ok, and it is just an arguement, you have just made enemies with your neighbors. On the other hand, when officers do respond, if either of the people involved have evidence of physical harm on their bodies, the person responsible for said harm will be arrested for domestic violence. whether or not a conviction is obtained, is up to the parties involved

Source(s): Police Officer

Continue to call for each incident as a log will show there is a problem at that location. Whether they believe you or not, they will send someone to check it out. Domestic violence is a serious issue and should always be reported every time it's witnessed.

They may ask you to stay on the line so you can keep them updated as to any changes that may happen before they get there. If someone leaves, you hear gunshots or things escalate, you can inform them immediately. Nothing beats having a hands on witness to stay informed.

You can call and say you heard or saw something but how the Police will respond will depend alot on what State you live in since the Domestic Violence laws are different from state to state. I'd call and ask what the law is in your area or look it up on line so you'll know just how bad things have to get before the police can step in.

Try here and see if it helps:

http://www.stopvaw.org/State_and_Federal_Domestic_...

good luck.

You can call again. Many women who are victims of domestic violence will 'protect' their husbands and I'm sure the police are used to this. Maybe just having the police respond and come knocking on their door will help them to realize that there is a problem with what is going on.

You can call. But for domestic violence depending on the state if someone does not press charges (ie one of the couple) nothing can or will be done.

And unless there is a warrant a person does not have to open their door for the police and they can not just barge in unless they feel there is just cause (a dead or injured person inside).

• N S

No, they won't think it's a joke. Call now. Call every single time. This is domestic abuse at it's worse, because now there are children witnessing it and that is in itself abuse.

Also, you shouldn't have to stay on the phone. You call, report the abuse and the address and it's the police's job to do the rest.

If you fear for your neighbors life, call the police. Not only does it effect her household, it effects you as well. You should not be afraid or worried the police wont take any action. Go down to the station to see if anything's going to be done in the future or make an in-person statement.

Call now. They will believe you. Tell them there's not a need for you to stay on the line all day. You don't live there, it's next door.

• Judy H

Yes I would keep calling until the police finally break up this situation and take that woman out of and away from that maniac before he kills her, it happens all the time, be a good citizen and report this domestic abuse and help this poor woman, Good luck.

u should definetely report it again and make sure the police come and see whats going on or have other ppl from your neighbor hood call the police and complain about the noise so they would go and check and find out what happened.