Why do the Nickel Metal Hydride rechargeable batteries in my new digital camera go dead after only 5 pics?

The AA batteries are about five years old, but have probably only been used and recharged around 50 (fifty) times. To my knowledge, Nickel Metal Hydride rechargeable batteries are normally supposed to last 800 - 900 cycles of use and being recharged. The camera, a top-selling Canon PowerShot A570 IS, is brand... show more The AA batteries are about five years old, but have probably only been used and recharged around 50 (fifty) times. To my knowledge, Nickel Metal Hydride rechargeable batteries are normally supposed to last 800 - 900 cycles of use and being recharged. The camera, a top-selling Canon PowerShot A570 IS, is brand new. I've only taken about forty photos with it. I need to know whether I should invest in new batteries and/or a charger, or return the camera before 30 days passes. (I bought it online from Amazon.) BTW, the Alkaline AA batteries that came with the camera also went dead after only about twenty photos.