since i'm retiring from the army do i have to take an APFT.?

I took my last APFT two weeks before I retired. My score was 287 and I was rather unhappy because I wanted to retire with that physical fitness patch (only scored 87 on the run.)

I'm not trying to sound sarcastic here, but are you really in the military? If you are actually retiring, you're a what, an E6, E7, E8? Shouldn't you know this already, or have the ability to look this up in Army regs, or ask this question of your chain of command or personnel office, instead of in yahoo answers?

Anyway, you don't need to take a separation PT test in order to retire, but only the normal one if its close to your date to take your regular diagnostic or record test. You DO have to take a mandatory separation physical in order to retire. I was within a month of retirement when my date to take the regularly scheduled PT test came up, and my chain of command let it slide.

Source(s): US Army retired.