What can I do about my family and Christmas Please read ! And only serious answers please?

I would really like some help with a family problem my husband and I are having. We have hosted all of the holiday events at our house since my parents passed away 6 years ago. Mainly because we have the biggest house. We have never had a problem with doing it we have actually always enjoyed it and felt blessed to... show more I would really like some help with a family problem my husband and I are having. We have hosted all of the holiday events at our house since my parents passed away 6 years ago. Mainly because we have the biggest house.
We have never had a problem with doing it we have actually always enjoyed it and felt blessed to have so much family and friend. But this year we want to take our 3 children and spend Christmas in Aspen Colorado, with a couple of friends of ours and their kids. We live in Palm Springs California so our kids have never had a white Christmas. We told every one about our plans at Thanksgiving and the way every one acted you would have thought we are commiting a crime. We have offered to still let every one use our house already decorated. All they have to do is get together and plan the dinner and such. But they are still being real pains in the butts about it. Especially my sister, she says we can not abandon our family at Christmas. Any suggestions on how to handle this?
Update: We are still buying gifts for every one. And have told them that we will be hosting a belated Christmas party when we get back on the 27th. Due to my husband and my business commitments we did not get to take a family vacation this summer so our kids are really looking forward to it. Is there a right or a wrong in... show more We are still buying gifts for every one. And have told them that we will be hosting a belated Christmas party when we get back on the 27th. Due to my husband and my business commitments we did not get to take a family vacation this summer so our kids are really looking forward to it.
Is there a right or a wrong in this situation? Who do we put first our selves and our children or the rest of our family and friends?
Thank you a head of time.