Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEngineering · 1 decade ago

There are various types of thread/bolts?

Could someone explain what they are and how you measure them. For example, I've heard of Whitworth and Machine Bolt. Does anyone know of a web site that would give this info?

Oh, also AF which is American Fine

As a retired mechanical Engineer I would advise doing a search on the 'net using the search term 'screw threads'.

There are standard bolt threads like ISO coarse, fine, UNF, UNC etc., then the specialised ones such as Acme, Buttress etc.

You will probably be able to download a chart that will give you diameter, pitch, flank angle etc.

Alternatively try your local bulk fastening stockist who should be able to provide this information.

• D.C.

THERE ARE SEVERAL TYPES . IN AMERICAN WE HAVE 2 MAIN ONES AND AT LEAST 2 SCREW BALLS . # 1 COURSE THREAD LIKE 1/4 X 20 ( 1/4 " IN SIZE BY 20 THREADS PER INCH ) ALSO 5/16" X 18 , 3/8" X 16 , 7/16" X 14 , 1/2" X 13 . # 2 FINE THREAD 1/4" X 28 , ( SAME 1/4 INCH BUT HAS 28 THREAD IN A INCH ) IN FINE YOU HAVE 1/2" X 20 . # 3 I HAVE A TAP THAT IS 1/2" X 12 ( NOT FINE OR COURSE ) . THEN YOU HAVE METRICS , THE FIRST # OF A SIZE IS THE DIAMETER ------ 4 , 5 , 6 , 7 ,AND SO FORTH THE SECOND # IS THE THREAD PITCH ---1.0 , 1.25 , 1.5 , 1,75 ( THIS IS HOW YOU TELL THE SIZE OF THE THREADS . SOME OLD HARLEY MOTORCYCLES ALSO HAD SPECIAL BOLTS / NUTS . TO MANY TO LIST ALL . THE CLASS STEVE IS TALKING ABOUT IS HARDNESS FROM #1 - 8 . THE LOWER THE SOFTER -- THE HIGHER THE # THE HARDER .

Over on this side of the Atlantic, there is a standardised set of screw threads for those using the metric system.

For instance, an M6 thread has an approximate diameter of 6mm. The thread pitch is standardised, as is the angle of the cut. (I believe there are specialised variations of the norm).

Old fashioned British threads included Whitworth, BSF and BA.

Your best bet is to go down the Library and dig out a decent Mechanical Engineering Reference Book.

More that haven't been mentioneed are SAE (which most people call fine), Acme (which is square), buttress (similar to Acme), and NPT (pipe threads). There's also a straight pipe thread, but I've never actually seen one.

The shape of a thread is called the thread form. So I'd search on thread forms or thread form dimensions if I was you. At least one result is shown below, and there's a list of thread forms there.

A headcase escaped from the loony bin and sexually assualted a woman working in a laundramat. He got away before the cops arrived.

I read about it in the paper: "Nut screws washer, and bolts"

http://www.hemcogages.com/ansi.htm

There are also different classifications of bolts. I think they are Class 1 through Class 5

get yourself a eference boooklet called "zeus". It has all this information aswell as bend radii, speeds/feeds etc

please view our website: http://www.gaugestools.com

Here you can find Metric ,UN, BSP, NPT etc thread and gauges