staph infection and the news?

do you think they hype it up?

I'm a major hypocondriac and was told that they hyped it up and it's been around forever.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

it has been around forever but this is a new type that is resistant to many antibiotics. yes i do believe that they are exaggerating, but it is kind of serious. they just want to get the word out that you need to wash your hands many times a day. its spread by touching things, so your hands should be clean and you should be fine.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No. It's not hyped up. As a matter of fact, the severity of the situation has not even come close to being addressed or publicized.

Triclosan, a chemical in almost all anti-bacterial products (cleaning and body care), has been shown, years ago, to be able to cause this problem. Triclosan mutates cell walls to induce death. However, the stronger walled cells do not die, they just thicken the cell wall in the next generation of cells.

This chemical should be pulled from our shelves immediately if not sooner. The resistance of this bacteria will increase every time triclosan is used. Who's home will the next super-bug come from...if you use triclosan, it could be yours.

Triclosan coated heater/air conditioner filters should be replaced with non-triclosan (microban) filters. When the air passes through the triclosan coated filter, only the weak bacteria die. The strongest ones are sent right back into the air you breathe. You might want to do that tomorrow right after work.

for more information and to see studies located on the National Library of Medicine web site concerning this incredible threat to our health, go to:

http://www.sunflowernaturals.com/mrsa.shtml

• Rikki
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Yes, I do think the media has blown the disease way out of proportion. I am not trying to downplay the recent deaths reported among high school students. MRSA can be very virulent and sometimes deadly. However, not everyone who gets MRSA will get a life-threatening strain. Many people who get MRSA do not have a normally functioning immune system. It is often seen in chronic wounds of debilitated patients. The problem with MRSA is its resistance to so many antibiotic therapies. It can be very hard to treat and take long-term therapy to eradicate. When MRSA was discovered, it was almost exclusively a nosocomial (hospital spread) infection. Now, it has travelled into the public sector and is very prevalent. Although it is a definite problem, most cases I see are not life-threatening.

Source(s): wound care nurse
  • 1 decade ago

the statistics were that 1 out of 10 people who get it die.

(maybe it was 1 out of 5, i forget. but i considered it high.)

i think it could use a little more hyping up.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.