How to tell if a ceiling fan brace is already installed without tearing up the ceiling or going into the attic

I want to install a ceiling fan where I currently have a light. It would be extremely difficult to get to that light from the attic to see if it is braced for a ceiling fan. If I have to I will cut the drywall around the box to see and use a cover but before I do I thought I would ask and see if anyone knew a way to tell without going into the attic or cutting the drywall.

Favorite Answer

First find the breaker or fuse that supplies power to that light and turn it off or remove it. Take the light fixture down. It would be strange to have a fan brace up there if there isn't a fan already installed so plan on putting one up there. Unless the electrical box seems to be extremely sturdy you'll probably need to replace it. If it's plastic then definitely replace it. You can buy a fan brace with box that attaches to an expanding bar that fits into the hole in the ceiling and then you twist it to expand it so that the teeth bite into the ceiling joists on either side of the hole. Make sure to use the plastic insert in one of the knock-out holes so that your wire isn't touching the metal box where it comes in. If you take the light fixture off and there is a very shallow metal box with screws going through the bottom of the box into a joist, then that would be a fan box and you can go from there. Feel free to send me a message or e-mail if you have any more questions.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I want to install a ceiling fan where I currently have a light. It would be extremely difficult to get to that light from the attic to see if it is braced for a ceiling fan. If I have to I will cut the drywall around the box to see and use a cover but before I do I thought I would ask and see if...

Source(s): ceiling fan brace installed tearing ceiling attic: https://tr.im/OFJDt
  • puls

Ceiling Fan Brace

You don't need to go into the attic.

When you take the light down, you should be able to determine the stability of the the electrical box.

A fan brace really only stabilizes the electrical box where the fan is fastened. If you have new construction, your electrical box is probably secure.(connected to a ceiling joist)

If you find movement in your electrical box, see if you can remove it. (perhaps a visible screw)

Then go to a lumber yard and ask for an adjustable fan brace. You will be able to fit this in the ceiling and between existing ceiling joists, then secure it with a wrench.

• luff

Ceiling Fan Bracket

• morris

Getting into the attic is the best thing because you will have to build a brace for the fans weight. You could cut the drywall to build a brace, they sell large trim rings to put on the ceiling to cover the cutout. I would expect that the box is NOT strong enough to support a fan since it has a light fixture on it.

Simply unscrew the upper part of the fan cover..and see that the electrical box is mounted to a stud..which by code in any state the last 25 years had to be....The ceiling fan you buy will have the brackets and screws that simply screw in to the box that the light is on..no special braces needed..the electrical box simply needs to be attached to wood..loosen screws and wiggle the light..it will tell you...the screws to the fan screw right in to the box itself

Take the fixture down and see how solid the box is mounted. If your house was built within the last 3 or 4 years it is probably a fan rated box. But even older boxes will support a fan if the box is metal and solidly mounted.

Source(s): I'm a real electrician

ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS REMOVE THE EXISTING FIXTURE AND LOOK AT THE STAMPING ON THE BOX. IT'S SMALL SO USE A FLASHLIGHT. IT WILL SAY SUITABLE FOR FAN SUPPORT. THE BOX SHOUL ALSO HAVE HEAVY WOOD SCREWS AND NOT 8/32 MACHINE SCREWS

Theres no way to tell with out seeing it physicaly.