Can a genius mechanic help me to understand when to use the O/D feature on 1997 infiniti i30?

On the hand gear the little button labeled OVER DRIVE On/Off exists and when it is in the off position the little orange light symbol lights on the dash saying O/D OFF. This is when the car picks up much faster and shifts much smoother. I notice when the over drive is enabled and clicked in, the car is heavier and... show more On the hand gear the little button labeled OVER DRIVE On/Off exists and when it is in the off position the little orange light symbol lights on the dash saying O/D OFF. This is when the car picks up much faster and shifts much smoother. I notice when the over drive is enabled and clicked in, the car is heavier and slower. I use this feature [Over drive being on and light not being on] in the rain right?Plz.. ;)