Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

Has anybody read any good vampire novels beside Anne Rice and The Twilight Series?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Here are some of the best vampire and/or werewolf works I have read:

Dracula by Bram Stoker

Mina by Marie Kiraly

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

Anne Rice’s Vampire Chronicles

Kim Harrison’s Rachel Morgan series about a witch who is a bounty hunter and works with a vampire and a pixie

Carrie Vaughn’s Kitty Norville series about a werewolf radio talk show host

Jim Butcher’s Harry Dresden series about a wizard private investigator in Chicago

Laurell K. Hamilton’s Anita Blake series

For Young Adults:

Sweetblood by Pete Hautman

Midnight's Choice by Kate Thompson, part of a trilogy that begins with “Switchers” and ends with “Wild Blood”

Companions of the night by Vivian Vande Velde

If you just want to kill some time and have some fun reverting back to childhood, check out The Bailey School Kids series by Debbie Dadey and Marcia Thornton Jones. They have some humorous titles like "Vampires Don't Wear Polka Dots," “Werewolves Don’t Go To Summer Camp,” and "Dracula Doesn't Rock and Roll".

Others I have heard about:

Amanda Ashley

Maggie Shayne

Katie MacAllister

Sherilyn Kenyon

Blood Books by Tanya Huff

Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris

1. Dead Until Dark

2. Living Dead in Dallas

3. Club Dead

4. Dead to the World

5. Dead as a Doornail

6. Definitely Dead

7. All Together Dead

the Dark series by Christine Feehan

the Last Vampire series by Christopher Pike

Brian Lumley

New Moon and Twlight by Stephenie Meyer

Bloodsucking Fiends and You Suck: A Love Story by Christopher Moore

Cirque Du Freak series by Darren Shan

Salem's Lot by Stephen King

Sonja Blue series by Nancy A. Collins

the Black Dagger Brotherhood series J.R. Ward

Christopher Golden

Nightwatch, Daywatch and Duskwatch by Sergei Lukyanenko

the Neteru series by L.A. Banks

Mary Janice Davidson's series. In order:

1. Undead and Unwed

2. Undead and Unemployed

3. Undead and Unappreciated

4. Undead and Unreturnable

5. Undead and Unpopular

6. Undead and Uneasy

Got Fangs and Circus of the Darned by Katie Maxwell

Blue Bloods and Masquerade by Melissa de la Cruz

Glass Houses and The Dead Girls' Dance by Rachel Caine

L.J. Smith

the Immortals After Dark series by Kresley Cole

Sunshine by Robin McKinley

Stephen Spruill

Shannon Drake

• 1 decade ago

I have read a couple-whether or not you like them depends on how much you want your vampire novels to follow the traditional model. The Anita Blake series, by Laurell K. Hamilton, is about vampires, but the main character is a vampire executioner. These novels get racier as the series progresses; don't read them if you don't want an r-rated experience. They also deal with shapeshifters and other preternatural beings.

Another good series, this one a little lighter and funnier, is by Charlaine Harris, featuring Sookie Stackhouse, a telepathic waitress.Not as much sex or violence, but still a good read.

The Dark series, by Christine Feehan, has the feel of your average Harlequin romance, with the added twist of vampires. This series takes on the carpathians of Stoker legends, and expands them as a race seperate from humans. Lots of original ideas, but it's kind of hard to get past that old-time romance novel feel.

Hamilton also writes a series about a fairy, Meredith Gentry, who has dealings with vampires and other supernaturals. Again, lots of sex. Not so much a vampire novel, but it's right in that realm of supernatural beings. Also worth a look is Kim Harrison's series, stating with Dead Witch Walking. From the title, this is clearly more about a witch than a vampire, but there are vampires and all their issues present.

You can look up all these books and more at Barnes and Noble online, BN.com.

• Alyssa
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Yes, I've read:

Companions of The Night by Vivian Vande Velde

The Silver Kiss by Annette Curtis Klaus

The Vampire Kisses Series by Ellen Shreiber

The Cirque Du Freak Series by Darren Shan

The Vampire's Promise series by Caroline B. Cooney

and I've heard Marked by P.C. Cast and the Bloodline series are pretty good.

• 1 decade ago

Christine Feehan has a whole series of books dedicated to vampires. They are really awesome. Her theory is that vampires are male Carpathians who have lost their soul. A Carpathian is a being of the earth. They are exactly like vampires but they have a soul and they never ever kill their victims. Male Carpathians loose the ability to see in color and all ability to feel emotion after they have lived for two hundred years. They stay like this until they find their lifemate. Their other half. If they do not find their life mate they turn into a vampire. Male Carpathians hunt the vampire so that mortals and immortals alike will be safe. It is a very interesting concept. The books have sexy male characters and strong witty female characters. I think you would like them. There is a little sex so if you don't want to read that part just skip over it. I love these books you should try them.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Tmess2
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Not sure if they qualify as pure vampire novels, but I liked the early Anita Blake novels by Laurel Hamilton and the works of Kim Harrison. In addition, if you can find them in print, Scott Ciencini wrote a good trilogy in the early 90s. While they are a mixed bag, White Wolf has published a series of novels based on its vampire RPG -- The Masquerade (which was the source for the brief TV series Kindred). Finally, while I personally do not like them, there are the novels by Charlaine Harris.

• Valeen
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Anne Rice for sure. She is a much more developed writer, and everything falls together perfectly. WAYYYY better than Twilight!!! The only movie that's close to any of her books is Interview with a Vampire with Brad Pitt. Queen of the Damned is a disgrace

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

AMELIA ATWATER RHODES-

In the forest of the night

Demon in my view

shattered mirror

they are not a series but have some of the same characters. They're also about vampires.kind of like the vampires falling in love with the human.demon in my view and shattered mirror both have teenagers in high school. They are all really good.

Boys that bite

Stake that

I forgot the author

vampire kisses series by ellen schreiber

• 1 decade ago

Predictable, but Bram Stoker's Dracula. The original and best. And the author lived a quarter of a mile from my house in Clontarf, Dublin. Hurray!

• 1 decade ago

check out "i am legend by richard matheson " an excellent vampire novel

• molly_
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Try those by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.