Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

I have depression and my adviser told me i should get a dog. i breed should i get?

i need a dog that is smart, good-tempered, loyal, easy-train and protective. what breed should i get?

i have owned dogs before so i know the repsonsiblility. i live in a hot climate country and i wouldnt want to waste money on AC bills. i also like dogs that are full of energy because i use to LOVE sports and i need sumthing to boost me forward.

Get a shelter dog. They always seem extremely grateful to their adoptive parents.

And you two can heal each other.

I have depression too & I got a golden retriever puppy a few months ago. He's very smart, making him really easy to train. He's loyal, friendly towards everyone & anyone, but not a good guard dog. Golden Retrievers are a really good breed, especially AFTER the puppy stage. He helps a lot by keeping me busy & cheers me up. He can be a little tiring sometimes though because he has so much energy and wants to play all the time. I suggest you go with a shelter dog, rescuing is so rewarding, which I also did with a pomeranian more recently. Good Luck!

First of all do you want a dog? just because someone has told you , does not mean you have to run out and get one!

There is a lot of responsibility to owning a dog or any animal, Feeding, walking,Health care, ( and can cost a lot of money)registration,Microchip,leads collars,bedding,to add to the list. You have to want to commit to this animal for the next 12-15 years if it is a pup.I am not trying to put you off getting a dog, but please think about it before you go off and take the first dog that catches your eye and heart But.if you do decide to get one, try the shelters first or any rescue centre( for a particular breed)But the smartest little dogs and the most loyal and the best company, and easy to train would be a Jack Russell Terrier.or indeed any terrier.. They are small enough for the car and the house and great with kids.Good luck to you.. get well soon..

A few of the smartest breeds are Labrador retrievers, border collies, Australian shepherd, queensland heeler, and the German Shepherd Dog. The only thing about the Aussie Shep and Border Collie is they are mainly used for herding, so might try to herd animals if you have any. Any dog you get will be loyal with the right up-bringing. Good luck.

I'm not sure you should get a dog if you truly have depression. That's a pretty serious condition to be in and taking care of yourself may be all you can do. However, if you are just depressed, then a dog can help. They aren't trendy, but a poodle is a very smart, easy-to-train dog. If you like big dogs, labs are pretty easy to train, though they don't like leash-walking too much. Your best bet is to go to the pound and get a dog that's already broken in.

I have seen a few people suggest huskies/border collies etc, those in my opinion would not be the best breeds, they are extremely high energy for the most part, and as a beginner owner you would probably benefit from an animal that is not so demanding-dont get me wrong I love both breeds.

Going to the shelter is a great idea, you can find a great "mutt" there get one thats over 2 years old-and they are so greatfull you can see it in their eyes, my dogs are the sunshine in my world - always happy always there for me no matter what, just prepare yourself for a lifelong commitment to this animal, he/she will become a huge part of your life

Have you ever had a dog before? Or had an interest in getting a dog before this?

Dogs are a lot of work, so make sure you really want to get one. Don't just one because your adviser thinks it's a good idea.

If you still want to get one it would help to get some more information. What size dog do you want, do you have a yard, how often/hard could you exercise?

'Chihuahua Momma' couldn't have said it better. My three Chi's got me through some of the toughest times in my life. They required nothing more from me than the best vet care, good food and exercise and most of all, all they really wanted and needed is MY love.

They will nuzzle up against you, sensing when you are feeling blue. So true of the breed. The great thing was their ability for me to take my mind off my own troubles and devote love and attention to them.

I've never heard of a Chi owner only having one. It seems they do better in pairs or more. They are so little and compact, they fit well on the couch huddled up with you while you watch tv. Really great and loyal companions...

Chihuahua Momma, we must share stories about our babies....

There are so many. First we need to know what accomodations do you have for your new dog. I have had many different breeds and loved them all. I currently own several breeds. For Large breeds a Doberman is a great protector, very intelligent and easy to train and is very very loyal. Medium size there are too many to list. But one that is easy to care for, unbelievably loyal, funny, busy body and requires a lot of attention is the "Australian Blue Heeler" .

Source(s): I just read over your answerers. I must say, I agree with them all. lol..Labs, Huskies, Poodles and Shelter dogs. Just remember a Dog is the only one who will value your life more than their own.

"Breed type" is, in certainty, yet in any different case of asserting "what this breed of canines is meant to look like". as quickly as you have frolicked around a breed (or breeds) and gotten a feeling of breed type, it turns into extremely ordinary to tell while a canines isn't purebred -- they are going to lack some effective components of their own breed type, and function those of yet another (or others, depending on how they are mixed). A Rott/Terrier mixture ought to under no circumstances look like a Doberman, as an occasion (whether it became black/rust), because of the fact the physique varieties of the two the Rottie and maximum terriers variety a great deal from that of a Dobe. the top may well be blocky, like a Rott, or bluntly muzzled, like a terrier, besides the undeniable fact that it would not have the stylish sweep of a Doberman.

I adopted a rescued dog that I found though www.petfinder.com. The process of looking was a lot of fun and now I have a wonderful companion.

As for the breed, I got a Jack Russell Terrier. She's a sweetie and loves to cuddle on my lap, but also loves to go for walks and loves to chase a ball and bring it back. She very quickly learned where not to go in the house and doesn't chew up anything but her toys.