Is the enemy of your enemy your friend?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

That sort of thinking has led to a lot of trouble.

Let me give a few examples from recent history.

After the USSR invaded Afghanistan in 1979, the US started arming and training anyone willing to fight them. This included a large group of religious zealots who opposed the atheistic Communist regime supported by the Soviets, as well as many foreign fighters, most also motivated by religion, who went to Afghanistan to join the battle.

We got what we wanted; the Russians were pushed out of Afghanistan.

We also got what we hadn't expected -- the Taliban (the native Afghan religious army) and al-Qaeda, which sprung from the band of foreign fighters who had gone to Afghanistan (including Osama bin Laden, who didn't fight but did organize and recruit actively during those years -- with US knowledge and encouragement; after all, the enemy of our enemy is our friend)

You heard me right -- we assisted in the creation, training and arming of the Taliban and al-Qaeda.

At about the same time, war broke out between Iran and Iraq. This was in the immediate wake of the hostage crisis, and we considered Iran an enemy. So for most of the next decade, we gave arms and other aid to Iraq.

Saddam Hussein's Iraq.

When the Gulf War was fought in 1991, the Iraqis were fighting our forces with weapons we had given them, and even today, young Americans continue to die in a war that began because we wanted to get rid of the man we had helped build up in the first place.

Choosing friends solely on the basis of having common enemies has a way of coming back to bite you.....

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I am not into enemies, if someone doesnt like me than I am sorry for whatever the reason may bebut I wont play the enemy game, wont keep my enemies close or dislike someone just because a friend does

• whiten
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

it rather is a theory or theory of a few i assume. that's no longer inevitably actual in spite of the undeniable fact that. The "secure" military stance could in all risk be to be "cautious" of the pal of an enemy. however the pal of an enemy who will become a pal of yours would desire to artwork to make your enemy tolerable. So???

• Dre :)
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

the enemy of my enemy is me!!! think about it....

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

They are all probably really bad people to start with, so I would steer clear of either one of them.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

one continue circle of cleverness.my head is starting to burst with the impact of your question.

• Nico
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Not necessarily

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

yes...at least until that enemy is deposed.

• Era
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Not since junior high.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

huh? You're making puppy toes' head hurt!

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.