Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsRodents · 1 decade ago

Friends son's bathtub hamster fighting?

I have a friend who has told me in the past that she has to buy a lot of hamsters for her son, because they all seem to die before their time (range of 6months-1 year). She will let him keep 2-3 at a time though and when one dies off she replaces it within a few weeks. Now, I have found out through her 11 year old son, that the reason why he goes through so many hamsters is that he takes them, sometimes two at a time or three at a time and puts them in the bathrub and lets them fight it out til the death. I think this is sick and the child needs help, and I honestly don't beleive his mother has a clue what he's up too. What should I do? call the cops? call social services? call animal control?

I haven't let my son play with him for almost a year now, because this isn't my friends son's only weird behavior. I only have my son & daughter for short periods of time (shared custody) and like to spend it with them and the rest of my family exclusively. So no worries about my children being exposed to this.

ok, I'm a man. and he did it while I was babysitting him. I saw the dead hamster with my own eyes. It was definitly dead and bleeding.

I've read on some websites while researching this that syrian hamsters(I think thats what theyre called) can be hostile with each other and even kill each other.

Wow, that is really twisted. I would talk to his mother to make her aware of what is going on. Do it gently and in a non-accusing manner, if she really doesn't know what's happening she is going to be shocked scared and defensive. Follow through and make sure something is being done about it. This kind of behavior will lead to lifetime of cruel destructive behavior.

She should get rid of the pets, and not allow her son to have anymore. He needs to see a psychologist. Is she doesn't follow through in curbing this behavior then you need to report it to the authorities, it is animal cruelty and it is illegal.

I take it she is a really good friend of yours, she may be angry at first but will probably be grateful for making her aware of something that could lead her son down a dark & dangerous road.

That boy needs help. NOW. that is one of the signs of a seriously ill child. You are only hurting him by not telling his mother. Tell her first and let her know he needs help. If she doesnt do anything about it you would be right to call Social Services and Animal Control. He needs help now and so do those poor animals he is killing. If you dont do anything to prevent it you are only encouraging it. but tell the mother first and wait to see if she does anything about it before you get too involved. She may take care of the entire problem herself. This is a very delicate situation. Mothers dont like to know that there is something wrong with their child so make sure you do it in a apporpriate way, not infront of anyone, and calmly, dont let her think you have a grudge against her child, or that you are going to tell anyone else about her son. Good Luck with this one.

syrian hammies should be kept as single pets anyway, you are right. Talk to the mother but if she won't listen which may well be the case, talk to the child and make sure he realises what he is doing is wrong first. After that I really don't know what else you could do but good luck

OMG I would tell her. I don't think the cops are going to respond too well to a hamster fighting call!!! Yes, it's sick and twisted and he needs help but at this stage I think it's something that only SHE can handle. HTH

Source(s): mom of 3 boys

Has whitey got anything in his cage to help him get strong like a spinning ball ? that will make him strong, show him how to do press ups to strengthen his chest. It all sounds very complex I think they need to go and see a concealer for some hamster guidance.

That is twisted and cruel. Tell the mother and maybe tell her to stop giving him hamsters! He obviously can't handle a pet and doesn't know how to treat them.

Talk to his mother first, and try to have her talk to her son. Calling the authorities should be your last resort. Hey, that kid sounds messed up.

THIS IS OBVIOUSLY A SIGN THAT THERE IS SOMETHING VERY WRONG WITH THIS BOY. NOT TO BE DRAMATIC, BUT ABUSING ANIMALS IS OFTEN TIMES HOW SERIAL KILLERS GET STARTED. I WOULD TRY TO TALK TO THE MOTHER, AND DON'T LET YOUR SON PLAY WITH HIM AND EXPLAIN TO YOUR SON WHY THIS IS SO WRONG. GOOD LUCK!

I think you may have been the victim of a practical joke? Fighting hamsters? Come on, lady. It's not pit bull training centers here. Even in a shared cage (let alone a bathtub), the little creatures would avoid each other long enought that the boy would get bored and put them back.

If she was my friend, I would tell her. I would want to know first if it was my child, so I could have the opportunity to deal with my son's "issues" (!) before anyone else got involved.