When to start giving baby solids?

I've read that now most doctors are saying that instead of going by physical age to determine when to give a baby solids, that you should go by developmental age. When a baby can sit supported, then you should start them on cereal and "First foods". My son is three months old and can sit supported,... show more I've read that now most doctors are saying that instead of going by physical age to determine when to give a baby solids, that you should go by developmental age. When a baby can sit supported, then you should start them on cereal and "First foods". My son is three months old and can sit supported, he even pulls himself up into a sitting position(he can maintain it for about five seconds) BUT I thought you were supposed to wait until 4 months to start with the cereal and baby food. Should I start giving my son some cereal or should I wait another month? I do have a call in to his doctor and should be hearing from them this afternoon. Just wanted to hear some other mothers' opinions.
Update: http://www.gerber.com/fphome?phase=9

This has information on "supported sitter"
15 answers 15