Stareyes asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 decade ago

Can anyone ever replace a mother in a child's life?

I basically feel that my mother-in-law replaced me in my daughter's life. Once she came to this country from India, she had the final say in what classes my daughter took during the summer, what clothes she wore and everything else in her life.

She used to also say the when she took my daughter places, she would refer to her as "my daughter." Then, she said that I could not take care of my child's hair. She took my daughter to get her hair cut also.

I wonder if I should have been stronger and put my foot down and said that this was my child and I had the final say. The problem was that my ex-husband never supported me.

Now, since my ex-husband has sole physical and legal custody, she has raised my daughter. I gave up too soon, but now don't think my daughter will ever be close to or love me. I guess its what I deserve in life.

definitely not! mothers are the only person that cares like a mother. You gave birth to her, and you are her mother!!!!! She needs to remember who brought you into this world, and you need to remember who brought HER into this world. IT WAS YOU!!!!!!!!!!! Just try to remember that next time.

Source(s): MY mother.

That's so sad! I do think you should've been stronger with your mother-in-law, but they are scarry people, so I understand. Did you ever talk to your daughter about this? And, you don't you have full custody? I think you should take her to court and try to get custody of your own daughter, who I'm sure loves you very much.

plz be strong mother of your daughter and take care of her

it's never to late, put your foot down now and get back to being mom to your child.

why don't you have custody?